appliances

davidlucas

Registered
Aug 20, 2009
Calgary
Hi, just got back from the ACRE weekend in Calgary. Thanks so much to Don and the REIN team for a brilliant weekend.
Question? Does anybody know of a good source to buy Laundry and kitchen appliances in Calgary apart from the `BRICK`

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Kijiji

Can usually get appliances in near new condition, often full sets, for less than half of new. Should last nearly as long as new and in the case of rental properties more than good enough.
I would stay away from the Brick. I have had nothing but problems with them regarding quality, delivery etc.

housingrental

Registered
Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
Hi David
I can`t comment on Calgary
I will comment on Greg`s post.
I avoid used appliances for rental properties.
They break down more often then new appliances.
If you`re hiring someone to do your appliance repairs your often worse after getting someone there 1 time to fix it.
It`s also more time consuming finding the appliance used, getting it delivered, getting the old one removed, and keeping the tenant happy if when any appliance breaks down.
I`ve also had used appliances that did work at one place get damaged by from uninstall / deliver / install...

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
If you buy new appliances and your tenant moves out in two years your next tenant gets a used appliance.
How is that much different than starting with a two year old appliance at half the cost.

Unless you are renting out very high end units save your money up front.
The majority of this business is about making money when you buy not when you sell and that translates into all purchase decisions.

dwoychuk

Registered
Sep 24, 2009
Calgary, AB
sympatico.ca
QUOTE (davidlucas @ Nov 8 2009, 10:20 PM)
Hi, just got back from the ACRE weekend in Calgary. Thanks so much to Don and the REIN team for a brilliant weekend.

Question? Does anybody know of a good source to buy Laundry and kitchen appliances in Calgary apart from the 'BRICK'

Hi David,

I work for Best Buy/Future Shop, the retail market is very competetive right now so if you want to go with new appliances i can probably get you connected with someone from our stores here in Calgary and I'm sure they would be willing to work out some sort of deal for you.

If you know what you want, I can pull up availabilities and some basic pricing.

Feel free to drop me a line.

wgraham

REIN Member
Sep 14, 2007
Canmore

Question? Does anybody know of a good source to buy Laundry and kitchen appliances in Calgary apart from the 'BRICK'

Bow West Appliances on Bowness Rd. Lots of scratch and dent type units with warantees. Discounts for cash payments. I picked up a washer, dryer, and dishwasher delivered and installed for $1100 a while back.

Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
Hi

In my experience at least its hard to find two year old appliances for sale... and finding the exact colour and size your looking for if not standard can be very hard or impossible... and time consuming... and then takes even more $$$ and time to arrange for the appliance to be moved to your place and the old appliance to be moved out... The other issue is there's a higher likelihood that the used appliance your buying has an issue, or will have an issue... which if you hire outside repair man even once it ends up costing more in total.... and new appliances on the starting end of things are often very cheap... $350 for an oven...

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 10 2009, 09:08 AM)
If you buy new appliances and your tenant moves out in two years your next tenant gets a used appliance.

How is that much different than starting with a two year old appliance at half the cost.

The majority of this business is about making money when you buy not when you sell and that translates into all purchase decisions.

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
QUOTE (wgraham @ Nov 10 2009, 08:58 AM)
Bow West Appliances on Bowness Rd. Lots of scratch and dent type units with warantees. Discounts for cash payments. I picked up a washer, dryer, and dishwasher delivered and installed for $1100 a while back.

I will post the other side to this story. I recently bought a condo in foreclosure, in which the former owner had removed all the appliances except a decrepit, non-functioning fridge. So I obviously needed to purchase appliances of some variety, along with various other renos to repair the damage they did.

Anyway, I ended up with a fridge, stove and dishwasher, all stainless steel, from Home Depot for $1649. Note that the price included, delivery, removal/disposal of the old fridge, taxes, and one year no interest/payments. I feel that was pretty good value for the extra $550 on 3 appliances, and it should help on tenanting and/or resale.

Michael

Emil1753

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Oct 11, 2009
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Nov 10 2009, 01:37 PM)
I will post the other side to this story. I recently bought a condo in foreclosure, in which the former owner had removed all the appliances except a decrepit, non-functioning fridge. So I obviously needed to purchase appliances of some variety, along with various other renos to repair the damage they did.

Anyway, I ended up with a fridge, stove and dishwasher, all stainless steel, from Home Depot for $1649. Note that the price included, delivery, removal/disposal of the old fridge, taxes, and one year no interest/payments. I feel that was pretty good value for the extra $550 on 3 appliances, and it should help on tenanting and/or resale.

Michael

AMANA appliances?

ZuzanaHaska

Registered
Nov 21, 2007

Try Major Appliances

1683 32 Avenue Ne

Calgary, AB T2E 7Z5

(403) 250-7322

Great deals on scratch and dent items.

Zuzana

Jessome

Registered
Jan 26, 2009
Southern Alberta
My brother`s contact information is below; he may be able to help. He can have orders shipped anywhere in Alberta or BC.

Curtis Jessome
Tridel Automation
Control 4 Dealer, Wholesaler of LG Electronics and Appliances and Other Electronics

#9, 492 Arrow Road, RR#2
Invermere, BC
V0A 1K0

Cell (250)688-2878
[email protected]

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Been there done that and have the T-shirt.......

Currently I have a few commercial accounts with a few major distributors (The Brick, Trail) and good sales reps who understand my needs. I want inexpensive quality machines ie Brand names with contruction differences such as a dryer with direct drive vs a belt drive (less wear & tear) it might cost a little more but it'll last longer. And quality new scratch & dent products or demos in perfectly fine condition.

Yes you make your money when you buy but what is the value of your time? Personally I'd rather be negotiating my next real estate deal than haggeling over a used set of appliances. Then you have to figure out a way to move & install them.

I phone my rep, tell them what I want they then call the tenant to arrange a delivery date, deliver, install, and remove the dead one for peanuts.

I then fax another offer to purchase or go outside and play with my son.

This is probably not where you want to waste a lot of time.

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 10 2009, 07:08 AM)

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
[quote name=`Wade Fenner` date=`Nov 13 2009, 10:30 AM` post=`71168`]
Been there done that and have the T-shirt.......

Yes you make your money when you buy but what is the value of your time? Personally I`d rather be negotiating my next real estate deal than haggling over a used set of appliances. Then you have to figure out a way to move & install them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Negotiating a real estate deal is just haggling over the price of a used home.

I do not see buying used as "haggling" it is deal making on a small scale. It only takes a few minutes to email a offer and is easily done in the comfort of my office. In the past week I have saved over $5000 in materials I needed without breaking a sweat. Collectively I should see a return of 200% or better on those items.

I guess I am blessed with not being obsessed with making money and watching the clock.
I have the time to save money and enjoy saving money as much as making money. Thankfully I have time to enjoy my life rather than working/making deals 24/7.

The fact is, when renovating for resale, the dollar return on used items far exceeds that on new in many cases. Many other times the item being replaced adds no value to the resale price which again means a greater benefit in used items.
As an example I needed a replacement furnace for the flip house I am presently doing. A new furnace would not net a greater return so I picked up one a year old for 1/3 of new. As an added bonus I can install it myself saving another $1000 where as I could not buy new and install myself. Overall my added profit when I sell will be about $2000 more for maybe one or two days work.

I suppose the bottom line is I make more money by having the time to save money. Financially I am comfortable enough and old enough to derive pleasure from saving money. A penny saved was a penny eared back in the day.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Hi Again,

First of all - I respect your thoughts and position. Mine is just different.

I`ll elaborate if I may. When renovating and reselling I find I probably more than recoup, and profit from, replacing all appliances with brand new unless the existing appliances were in excellent condition and of the same brand name. To me, having the factory plastic across the face of the washer & dryer, styrofoam in the fridge, instructions hanging from the handle of each appliance is part of the WOW factor I use when selling a property.

By leaving nothing to question I find I have been able to consistantly sell above other properties in the area and in a much shorter time frame saving mortgage payments, taxes, & utilities. This approach has also assisted with my relationship with my realtor because my properties are easy to sell.

I`m not obsessed with making money either but I have become more protective of my time and I have never felt comfortable emailing an offer on used appliances without seeing them. Buying used means I have to go thru the whole process twice as often (Tenant calling with issues, does it need repairs, or replacement, send the repairman, its dead so I have to pay him for his time & still buy a new set. Plus my office staff or property manager have their time wasted, and on and on.

So to me its not just the cost of the machine it the hassle factor for everybody involved. Plus it keeps my tenants pleased & feeling respected by having The Brick show up & unload a new washer & dryer. Makes them feel like its Christmas. Just part of the bigger picture I guess.

Cheers,

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Adam.
I am not sure about furnaces but it doesn`t matter as I have a licensed guy to inspect it when completed.
It`s much like electrical. A home owner may do as they please as long as it is signed off by a licensed individual when completed. Tricky some times but that`s why it`s nice to have friends and family in the trades.

Wade.
The difference our approach boils down to the scale of our business and our target market. My place when completed will sell within $3000 of my asking price will sell in under 30 days and does not require a "wow" factor. We maximise our profits by knowing our clients.
In the case of my clients you would seriously lose your shirt but I can guarantee you would not be anymore interested in my market than I in yours. We are in a different business.

I will however still say that I never hesitate to put a 2-5 year old appliance in any rental l ever owned, it would still last 10 years, and the tenant would never know the difference. Multiple tenants will pass through so for $100 - $150 I simply replace them when there life is up without even considering repairs in most cases.
I am talking about middle class real people not high end entitlement class condo dwellers. Tenants in rentals.

Also I have dealt in the past with the Brick, in my city, and would not buy socks from them let alone appliances but that is just my opinion.

Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
Hi Greg

I`m not in expert in this but from what I`ve heard your mistaken.

For furnaces I think it really does matter... if something went wrong with it in the future and caused a fire... and your property was damaged and needed $200K repair would your insurance be valid when they realized it was illegally installed ? or poisoning from gases.... and someone was injured or killed on your property... would your insurance be valid?

I might be mistaken on this but I also though it was illegal to install old furnaces in Ontario ?

For electrical I`m almost certain your incorrect... Aren`t there certain things that an can only be done by an electrician... Ie modifying a panel, etc.. ? And wouldn`t the same liability issues as above be an issue?

Thanks

EdRenkema

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Beamsville, Ontario
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 15 2009, 12:36 PM) Hi Greg

I`m not in expert in this but from what I`ve heard your mistaken.

For furnaces I think it really does matter... if something went wrong with it in the future and caused a fire... and your property was damaged and needed $200K repair would your insurance be valid when they realized it was illegally installed ? or poisoning from gases.... and someone was injured or killed on your property... would your insurance be valid?

I might be mistaken on this but I also though it was illegal to install old furnaces in Ontario ?

For electrical I`m almost certain your incorrect... Aren`t there certain things that an can only be done by an electrician... Ie modifying a panel, etc.. ? And wouldn`t the same liability issues as above be an issue?

Thanks

Good points Adam, sometimes I think its a blessing in disguise to be as technically incompetent as I am. I hire professional tradesmen whenever necessary, no question, if my property cannot carry it I have failed in my analysis.

As far as appliances I do install used-reconditioned appliances from a recognized local dealer in such and they service them as well so I`m not dealing with chasing down a warranty (yes new stuff breaks) all at a fraction of the cost.
As far as property resale I can write an offer to buy new appliances as a deal maker for potential buyers, tenants don`t care about fancy appliances, they want something that looks decent and works.