Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Applicant with pet rabbit - should I rent to them?

ldsouza

Registered
Hi folks,

My husband and I are in the process of renting out one of our duplex units, and the best applicant so far has a pet rabbit. This applicant has good references, and we would otherwise not hesitate to rent to someone like her - if not for the rabbit.

Although she otherwise seems very accommodating, she's not willing to negotiate on this pet (because it was given to her by her father, who is currently battling cancer).

I've heard that rabbits will chew through anything if let loose, and that's the only thing that's holding me back from renting to her.

Am I blowing things out of proportion? Does anyone have experience with tenants who have rabbits?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Lillian

DenisEncontre

Registered
I never had a tenant with a rabbit before but have had friends you had them as pets. Unless the tenant is very diligent with cleaning the cage they can leave an awful smell. I would not want a rabbit in a duplex were the smell would bother the other tenants.

JoeRagona

Registered
Lillian,

I think you have answered your own question. What is wrong with the rabbit? I'm sure it is caged most of the time - we have a rabbit, cats etc and when my son let's it out, the only thing I have seen it do is scratch on the carpet a bit.

Any pet can damage your unit, but it looks like on the surface this tenant may be more responsible than you give her credit for.

And if she is what you are looking for, this may be something you should overlook.

Just my opinion, if it was me - I'd be all over this tenant.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I wouldn't have an issue with a rabbit that was only let out of its cage while under the tenant's supervision. I would also charge a pet premium.

Rabbits' teeth grow constantly, which is why most rabbits chew on everything. This would likely be more of a problem for your tenants' contents than for your suite, but the potential for damage is there.

And yes, rabbits stink, but the smell is not noticeable to everyone, and it doesn't seem to linger once the animal is gone and the placed is cleaned. I recently showed a suite that had a rabbit until about a month prior, and I thought it reeked but the prospective tenants didn't smell anything. And once the tenants had moved and mopped the floor, the smell was gone.

Top Bottom