Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are you getting too old to invest on your own? New study reveals that financial judgment starts to slide after the age of 53.

DragonflyProperties

Registered
Hi all,

This article is from the current issue of Canadian Business Magazine. I don`t imagine that the results and proposed solytion will be all that popular. Excerpts:

Economists from Harvard University, New York University, and the Federal Reserve Board have concluded that financial decision-making skills begin to decline in middle age. Or, to be more precise, at 53.3 years old — when we`ve developed a wealth of financial experience, and still have most of our faculties intact.

This presents a serious problem, given North America`s rapidly aging population — enough of one, in fact, that the authors suggest a government licensing system be instituted to ensure older adults have a base level of financial understanding before they are permitted to invest.

"A lot of members of the older population are making these financial decisions on their own," and they`re more likely to be bad ones, says Sumit Agarwal, senior financial economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and one of the authors of the study.

One way to ensure a better informed populace, Agarwal and his co-authors suggest, is to mandate a government-administered financial literacy test before, say, getting a mortgage or committing to a major investment. In the same way that some jurisdictions retest older drivers, people could be required to pass the test again after a certain age.

Financial licensing would not only help to prevent people from harming themselves, but also society at large. "Financial mistakes will potentially be dealt with by the taxpayer," Lusardi says. Consider the number of Americans who took out sub-prime mortgages, and the chaos triggered around the world when they could no longer make payments. "Nobody forced anybody to do anything," Alesina says, "but the investor needed to be more attentive," adding a licensing process could have at least equipped people with basic knowledge about mortgages.

Nevertheless, Lusardi maintains financial licensing has promise for the young and old alike. It won`t turn us all into investment sages like Kahn, but it could make us a little wiser. "Now that we`ve seen the tragedy of financial mistakes," she says, "this paternalism just looks like such a low cost to pay."

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hour...207_10022_10022

Keith

TonyMandrique

Registered
QUOTE (DragonflyProperties @ Nov 25 2009, 10:49 PM) Hi all,

This article is from the current issue of Canadian Business Magazine. I don`t imagine that the results and proposed solytion will be all that popular. Excerpts:

Economists from Harvard University, New York University, and the Federal Reserve Board have concluded that financial decision-making skills begin to decline in middle age. Or, to be more precise, at 53.3 years old — when we`ve developed a wealth of financial experience, and still have most of our faculties intact.

This presents a serious problem, given North America`s rapidly aging population — enough of one, in fact, that the authors suggest a government licensing system be instituted to ensure older adults have a base level of financial understanding before they are permitted to invest.

"A lot of members of the older population are making these financial decisions on their own," and they`re more likely to be bad ones, says Sumit Agarwal, senior financial economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and one of the authors of the study.

One way to ensure a better informed populace, Agarwal and his co-authors suggest, is to mandate a government-administered financial literacy test before, say, getting a mortgage or committing to a major investment. In the same way that some jurisdictions retest older drivers, people could be required to pass the test again after a certain age.

Financial licensing would not only help to prevent people from harming themselves, but also society at large. "Financial mistakes will potentially be dealt with by the taxpayer," Lusardi says. Consider the number of Americans who took out sub-prime mortgages, and the chaos triggered around the world when they could no longer make payments. "Nobody forced anybody to do anything," Alesina says, "but the investor needed to be more attentive," adding a licensing process could have at least equipped people with basic knowledge about mortgages.

Nevertheless, Lusardi maintains financial licensing has promise for the young and old alike. It won`t turn us all into investment sages like Kahn, but it could make us a little wiser. "Now that we`ve seen the tragedy of financial mistakes," she says, "this paternalism just looks like such a low cost to pay."

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hour...207_10022_10022

Keith

Hi Keith,

Nice material.

Education is a must, hence, we are under REIN umbrella. Thanks to Don and his team.

However, I strongly believe that it is not only the individual investor to blame but the government who has the power to regulate particularly the financial industry. People`s action or re-action is a by-product of government`s regulations or deregulations.

Thank for sharing.

Tony M.

RedlineBrett

Registered
I would rather see a simple personal finance class added to the high school curriculum.

Teach our teenagers how savings accounts, credit cards, mortgages and simple stock investing works. Give each student a mock salary and each assignment is tailored around common financial decisions people will have to make in their lifetimes. Things like lease or purchasing of a car, rent or buy a house, managing personal debt, planning for retirement etc.

As a soon-to-be father I am going to make sure my child knows exactly how money works from a very early age.

I am simply amazed at how few people really get this considering how many well educated people we have in this country.

DragonflyProperties

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 26 2009, 08:32 AM) I would rather see a simple personal finance class added to the high school curriculum.

Teach our teenagers how savings accounts, credit cards, mortgages and simple stock investing works. Give each student a mock salary and each assignment is tailored around common financial decisions people will have to make in their lifetimes. Things like lease or purchasing of a car, rent or buy a house, managing personal debt, planning for retirement etc.

As a soon-to-be father I am going to make sure my child knows exactly how money works from a very early age.

I am simply amazed at how few people really get this considering how many well educated people we have in this country.

This reminds me of two stories:

1) Years ago I was at a law firm doing an audit. One of the lawyers was on the phone talking to a client about a recent home purchase. He was walking the person through the purchase documents and then he said, "The monthly mortgage payment is $XXX.XX (I don`t recall) per month." He didn`t say anything for about 30 seconds or so and then he said, "You do realize that you have to pay the money back, right?" At this point I realized that sometimes you can`t assume what you think are even the bare-bones basics.

2) About two weeks ago I was meeting with my Senior Account Manager at RBC. We were talking about the state of the financial market and I asked her how, as a general rule, her clients were holding up. She told me about several clients who had taken out a home equity line of credit. When they received their first monthly statement they called to ask "What is this interest amount number?"
and then, "Do we have to pay it and why?"

With people like this on the loose their children`s financial literacy is not in good hands.

Congratulations on taking responsibility for educating your child on how money works from an early age. I`m sure that he or she will be the only child in elementary school (kindergarten?) that already has a real estate portfolio!

Keith

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 26 2009, 09:32 AM) I would rather see a simple personal finance class added to the high school curriculum.

I thought I heard that there were plans on adding financial studies to the High School curriculum? That is a great concept you have there though, only problem is how do you grade it? If you go bankrupt do you fail the class?

Maybe after this latest global financial debacle our Government and Education boards are starting to realize the importance of it. We can always hope I guess.

Cheers,

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (dwoychuk @ Nov 26 2009, 01:27 PM) I thought I heard that there were plans on adding financial studies to the High School curriculum? That is a great concept you have there though, only problem is how do you grade it? If you go bankrupt do you fail the class?

I think that if this was the case our country would be better for it. Is that not the point of our education system?

If you cannot keep your money straight in school you aren`t ready to enter the workforce!

Not that I`m an expert in education but I wouldn`t set the grade system to be `he who makes the most $ gets the highest mark`

The assignments would be about the evaluation and due diligence process it takes to make an informed decision. Can you do the math on lease vs. finance vs. save and pay cash... Can you afford the two children you want at a certain lifestyle in 5 years if you buy that huge house now? Stuff like that... it would be invaluable.

larysa002

Registered
QUOTE (dwoychuk @ Nov 26 2009, 12:27 PM) I thought I heard that there were plans on adding financial studies to the High School curriculum? That is a great concept you have there though, only problem is how do you grade it? If you go bankrupt do you fail the class?

Maybe after this latest global financial debacle our Government and Education boards are starting to realize the importance of it. We can always hope I guess.

Cheers,

I, too, think it should be a mandatory class, as well as family building/wellbeing class. If they get virtual bankrupt, they should find out what they would do differently.

invst4profit

Registered
I can`t speak to the system outside of Ontario but here the biggest question is - who is going to chose the person that is going to teach.

For the most part in Ontario the teacher chosen to teach a given subject is the one available.
We have graduates in library teaching science, shop instructors teaching math etc.
Once a teacher is in the system in Ontario, regardless of there educational back ground, they may find themselves teaching any subject. (I have several family members in the system)

larysa002

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 26 2009, 02:28 PM) I can`t speak to the system outside of Ontario but here the biggest question is - who is going to chose the person that is going to teach.

For the most part in Ontario the teacher chosen to teach a given subject is the one available.
We have graduates in library teaching science, shop instructors teaching math etc.
Once a teacher is in the system in Ontario, regardless of there educational back ground, they may find themselves teaching any subject. (I have several family members in the system)

They`d better book a professional to do the contract. They do have means to invite speakers, at least from police, as far as I know. Family longterm budget is very important.

MKBridge

REIN Member
As we all know, it is important to keep physically fit as we get older. But I was reminded of the importance of keeping mentally fit as well recently. My mother was tested at a CNIB appointment last week as she has macular degeneration. Her reading skills are at a grade one level! She is 70 and was a registered nurse until she was about 50 when an injury ended her career. Since then she as never really read anything and spends most of her time watching tv. Her physical and mental capacity is sadly very poor because she has not exersized her body or mind in many many years. My mother in law on the other hand is 10 years older, swims and walks everyday, reads a variety of material constantly and is in MUCH better shape than my mom.

Think I`ll go to the gym and sign up for a course today! (We`ll thats much more what I am like anyway).

Kathi

Top Bottom