Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Asbestos siding under current vinyl siding

ccameron

Registered
Would real estate investors stay away from this situation?

I recently purchased a home that has the original asbestos siding under the current vinyl siding. I have been advised by a few siding companies that it is common practice to just "wrap" or "strap" the siding(leaving the asbestos for the purpose of insulation) under the new work. I am considering adding new windows and siding but my questions are 1) should I have the original stuff removed now as opposed to later? 2) Will this affect future tenants or sale of the house?
style_emoticons

kabuku

Registered
B) Hi There,
I don`t often post on this site because I don`t usually feel qualified to offer truely proffessional advise.
However, in this case I can. I have been installing windows, doors and siding for over 20 years in the GTA and I can tell you that your contractors are telling the truth. Removing the asbestos would be a very costly job that would bring you no return and perhaps just cause more issues. You would need a an asbestos abatement contractor that would charge you an arm and a leg. I would suggest using a insulating wrap such as Mitten Levelwall insulation over the existing asbstos siding(eliminates the need for strapping) and then install the vinyl siding over the level wrap. If possible remove the existing window frames and work from the studs. I don`t work in your area but I can send you some photos that will illustrate what I mean.
Brian Anderson
www.andersonwindowsanddoors.ca

ccameron

Registered
QUOTE (kabuku @ Jan 13 2008, 05:26 PM) B) Hi There,
I don`t often post on this site because I don`t usually feel qualified to offer truely proffessional advise.
However, in this case I can. I have been installing windows, doors and siding for over 20 years in the GTA and I can tell you that your contractors are telling the truth. Removing the asbestos would be a very costly job that would bring you no return and perhaps just cause more issues. You would need a an asbestos abatement contractor that would charge you an arm and a leg. I would suggest using a insulating wrap such as Mitten Levelwall insulation over the existing asbstos siding(eliminates the need for strapping) and then install the vinyl siding over the level wrap. If possible remove the existing window frames and work from the studs. I don`t work in your area but I can send you some photos that will illustrate what I mean.
Brian Anderson
www.andersonwindowsanddoors.ca

Thank you for the advice! Too bad that you dont work in Niagara! I would be glad to get a quote from you, as I plan to replace all windows, a new front door and new siding. Its a comfort to know that the situation is alright. Unnecessary expenses are not needed right now. Take care. Chris

rhodas

Registered
QUOTE (ccameron @ Jan 12 2008, 08:51 PM) Would real estate investors stay away from this situation?

I recently purchased a home that has the original asbestos siding under the current vinyl siding. I have been advised by a few siding companies that it is common practice to just "wrap" or "strap" the siding(leaving the asbestos for the purpose of insulation) under the new work. I am considering adding new windows and siding but my questions are 1) should I have the original stuff removed now as opposed to later? 2) Will this affect future tenants or sale of the house?
style_emoticons

rhodas

Registered
We had the same condition with our house. Asbestos is not a problem as long as it`s not disturbed. However, if you`re planning to put in new windows it might be disturbed in this process. Whoever does this work will have to take necessary respiratory precautions. In selling you will still have to declare that asbestos is present. Buyers often tend to think this is a health risk. We had ours removed by an asbestos abatement company and thought it was well worth taking the extra step rather than just covering it

Top Bottom