Automatic Door Locks

RedlineBrett

Registered
My partner and I are in the process of renovating two duplexes here in Calgary and getting them ready for tenants.

We were having lunch the other day and thought of an idea - automatic door locks, or the ones with keypads.

Basically, they are $150/door. (lock and handle). Premise is that the tenants would be let into the property by us (master key) and then they can change the code on the keypad to whatever four digit number they want. So no keys cut by us.

One tenant moves out, well the new one just picks a new code and uses that. Their roommates can use it to so no copies need to be cut.

We can have ONE master key for all of our automatic door locks - just keep it on a keychain along with our housekeys, rather than have a huge wall of keys coded for each property.

Locks are battery powered and are supposedly good for three years before the battery needs changing.

Anyone ever used this??

SamEfford

Registered
I have had one on my personal residence for years. Works great! I have a couple properties with the locks installed, however I have not made it standard yet.

TodorYordanov

Registered
I have all three (or more doors) keyed the same. Front, back and garage entrance. Less keys to cut and give. Also I follow the ABCD system, so at the most I will end up with 4 keys. There is also the option to make it a 3-tier system where a master key opens all ABCD doors, but at this point I do not have it.

Todor

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Sep 18 2008, 07:57 AM) My partner and I are in the process of renovating two duplexes here in Calgary and getting them ready for tenants.

We were having lunch the other day and thought of an idea - automatic door locks, or the ones with keypads.

Basically, they are $150/door. (lock and handle). Premise is that the tenants would be let into the property by us (master key) and then they can change the code on the keypad to whatever four digit number they want. So no keys cut by us.

One tenant moves out, well the new one just picks a new code and uses that. Their roommates can use it to so no copies need to be cut.

We can have ONE master key for all of our automatic door locks - just keep it on a keychain along with our housekeys, rather than have a huge wall of keys coded for each property.

Locks are battery powered and are supposedly good for three years before the battery needs changing.

Anyone ever used this??

I have them on my personal residance, on the front and back doors. They work great and I am very happy with mine. As far as a rental poperty, the concepts seems good but 150 eats up a fair bit of cash while changing locks from a collection you gather is rather cheap. One thing though is that it does add a little "prestige" to your place, wether valid or not

Real

housingrental

Registered
I have a number of them at different properties
I hate them unless there the pricier mechanical type (generally $200+ (and up to $500 for very good ones)
They work OK at first
And work good for awhile if you don`t have heavy use
BUT
After a period of time I`ve found with the cheaper electronic ones some of the buttons will become hard/impossible to use. Buttons (especially the one for lock if using that type) won`t work at all for random intervals. Tenants complain of random lock outs re can`t get it open. (note even with new batteries).
I just had another one break down this week - I replaced it with a normal deadbolt.
The cheaper electronic style ones I`ve used do NOT hold up to heavy use.
If you have tenants who go in and out alot the lock will be toast after only a few years.
If you have tenants who are rough on it same
If you have bad luck same very fast

That being said I`ve had no problems (so far) with mechanical type push button locks that cost more - so it if you hate keys I`d suggest spending the extra money to get these type.

GarthChapman

Registered
I`ll play Devil`s Advocate-

It would be easy for tenants to give out the codes to friends and that can create big problems down the road - imagine the house parties that could happen when your tenant is away, or the damage when the friend is no longer a friend.

If the tenant changes the code you no longer have access. What if there is a problem and you post a 24 hour Notice to inspect the property and then cannot get in when you arrive?

And if you have to re-key the place I don`t know what the implications would be.

I would stick with a master key system so you have one key for all your properties. That works well for me.

donnahamilton

REIN Member
I use the ABCD system and it works great as I just rotate the locks amoungst the propreties. Sucks when you need to change and no one around to do it. Is your idea the same as the Weisser Smartkey($60) at home depot? Sounds great except initial start-up. With this system they get a key but you program it with your master??? Can ask person who is using it what they think.

TomRebstock

Registered
[quote name=`RedlineBrett` date=`Sep 18 2008, 10:57 AM` post=`35602`]<br />My partner and I are in the process of renovating two duplexes here in Calgary and getting them ready for tenants.<br /><br />We were having lunch the other day and thought of an idea - automatic door locks, or the ones with keypads.<br /><br />Basically, they are $150/door. (lock and handle).

I`ve been using them for two years. I like them.

My market is student groups. I like that when they move, I just push buttons.

If I need to let in a contractor, I reserve some special key codes for emergencies. (I`m out of town).

seanverret

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Sep 18 2008, 07:50 PM) I would stick with a master key system so you have one key for all your properties. That works well for me.

Am I reading this correctly? You have ONE key for ALL of your properties? I thought the ABCD system was a per property system?

Clarification please...

Bill

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 12 2009, 02:53 PM) Am I reading this correctly? You have ONE key for ALL of your properties? I thought the ABCD system was a per property system?

Clarification please...

With the ABCD system you have a master key that allows you into all of your properties with only one master key. There are individual keys for each of the properties as well. So for us my wife and I each have a master key as do a couple key individuals who do work for us on a regular basis.

As a side note, the Masterlock lock boxes are extremely handy if you are having a stream of contractors through a property for renovations. They attach to a door handle, outside tap or pipe or you can get the units that attached directly to the outside wall. You program a code into it, drop the key in and away you go.

We have these at most of our properties so we don`t have to personally let someone in if an appliance requires work, plumbing issues pop up etc. Of course to make this work you need to be sure of who your contractors are and ensure they are reputable, which is all part of building a great team.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (TomRebstock @ Sep 28 2008, 07:28 PM) I`ve been using them for two years. I like them.

My market is student groups. I like that when they move, I just push buttons.

If I need to let in a contractor, I reserve some special key codes for emergencies. (I`m out of town).

Careful that your tenants don`t give out the code to friends who give the code to friends who gove the code to friends... and there ends up being this big party when the tenants are away...

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 12 2009, 02:53 PM) Am I reading this correctly? You have ONE key for ALL of your properties? I thought the ABCD system was a per property system?

Clarification please...

Bill describes it well - "With the ABCD system you have a master key that allows you into all of your properties with only one master key. There are individual keys for each of the properties as well. So for us my wife and I each have a master key as do a couple key individuals who do work for us on a regular basis."

We call the individual keys `operator keys`. In a property with a common outside entry door, all the tenant`s suite entry door keys will also open the common entry door, but not each other`s suites. In the case of a house with a secondary suite, the suite tenant`s key opens the outside back door and the suite entry door, but not the front entry door. The main floor tenant`s key opens the front entry door and the back entry door but not the suite entry door, etc, etc. etc. My master key will open all the doors for the property, as well as all our other properties`s doors.

So there you are, clear as mud I`m sure.

seanverret

Registered
Garth,

I think this master key for ALL your properties is an excellent idea. Question - how do you get a master key for all your houses? Let`s assume I`m starting from scratch and have three houses each with suited basements all doors with different keys..... How would I go about getting keys for common entrances, individual entrances and a master key made? Can I get something like this from RONA, or do I need a key guy who takes care of this "key management" for me???

Thanks so much for your help!

Bill

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 13 2009, 08:09 PM) Garth,

I think this master key for ALL your properties is an excellent idea. Question - how do you get a master key for all your houses? Let`s assume I`m starting from scratch and have three houses each with suited basements all doors with different keys..... How would I go about getting keys for common entrances, individual entrances and a master key made? Can I get something like this from RONA, or do I need a key guy who takes care of this "key management" for me???

Hi Sean,

You will need a key guy, the locks will need to be keyed for each lock and also keyed for the master key which the Rona folks typically do not understand. For bungalows with a shared back entrance you can also have the locksmith create a lock that can be opened by the upper tenants front door key, the lower tenants basement suite key and your master key, making life even easier for you.

We usually just get a batch of ten locks done at a time, but depending on the scale of your operation you can start smaller. If you only rent single family homes with upper and lower suites and a garage you can just stick with ABCD and a master, but if you have more than four locks in a property (apartments, five plexes, six plexes, etc) you will soon expand to ABCDEF.... and so on. Hope that clarifies a bit more.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 13 2009, 08:09 PM) Garth,

Sean, you need a locksmith. I use a small independant by the name of Colin Gerk (403) 261-1957. He`s a good guy and will cut you a deal to do multiple properties at a time. Use my name.

seanverret

Registered
Bill thanks so much - this is exactly the explanation I wanted! I can install everything simply enough, I just need a key guy to make them all up. Thanks so much!

Garth - thanks for the reference. I assume he`s in Calgary. I assume I can call him and let him know what I have and need and hey can make all the deadbolts that I require with the appropriate locks and keys and then I can install them wherever I need them. Then in future I can simply bring him one of my A, B, C, or D keys and get extra locks made etc. Am I assuming correctly?

Thanks so much!!

Bill

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 14 2009, 11:18 AM) Then in future I can simply bring him one of my A, B, C, or D keys and get extra locks made etc. Am I assuming correctly?

The lock man should be able to give you a set of codes for other locksmiths to recreate the locks in the system for you. The only thing to watch out is they need to code it to your master key as well. Otherwise it may only work with the A, B, C or D key and not your master, which defeats the purposes. I fear it`s getting more confusing now? I hope not.

seanverret

Registered
QUOTE (Bill @ Jan 14 2009, 11:45 AM) I fear it`s getting more confusing now? I hope not.

Not at all - I get it 100%

Thanks so much!

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Jan 14 2009, 11:18 AM) Garth - thanks for the reference. I assume he`s in Calgary. I assume I can call him and let him know what I have and need and hey can make all the deadbolts that I require with the appropriate locks and keys and then I can install them wherever I need them. Then in future I can simply bring him one of my A, B, C, or D keys and get extra locks made etc. Am I assuming correctly?

Thanks so much!!

Yes, he is in Calgary. Your understanding is correct. Lebelling the keys is important in this.