Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

basement customer

charmer56

Registered
Hi All, just got an email from my upstairs tenant saying the person downstairs has not paid their share of utilties since moving in, in Sept. This is the first time i have heard of this. I sent the person a note saying they must pay it immeadiately or i will call her mother as she is the co-signer to collect. She is apparentely trying to build good credit, ha ha. I am thinking i want to email the amount to the upstairs tenant now 609. so at least they are covered and collect from the DST as i can. Any ideas and what can i do?? Jayne

Murray_Zelinski

Registered
QUOTE (charmer56 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:57 PM) Hi All, just got an email from my upstairs tenant saying the person downstairs has not paid their share of utilties since moving in, in Sept. This is the first time i have heard of this. I sent the person a note saying they must pay it immeadiately or i will call her mother as she is the co-signer to collect. She is apparentely trying to build good credit, ha ha. I am thinking i want to email the amount to the upstairs tenant now 609. so at least they are covered and collect from the DST as i can. Any ideas and what can i do?? Jayne

Hi Jayne

Provided it is documented in the lease as to who is responsible and at what percentages, you can file with Residental Tenancy Disputes Resolution Services for nonpayment or arrears of utilites. There is a location in Calgary and Edmonton.

Regards,
Murray

invst4profit

Registered
Since the upstairs tenant has not contacted you until now (6 months) I would not send them any money until you receive it from the downstairs tenant. Getting the money from the downstairs tenant may be a struggle so it is best to not rush into paying someone else`s debts. Especially since the upstairs tenant does not appear to be overly concerned.

Top Bottom