Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Basic snow removal question

Nir

REIN Member
Hi, do you remove snow from the roof during the winter? how often and what is the criteria for removal? i.e. more than 20cm on roof?
What is the main purpose - less weight/water on roof to prevent what kind of damage specifically (I can think of a few but what is the main concern)?
THANKS.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Mar 1 2009, 11:23 PM) Hi, do you remove snow from the roof during the winter? how often and what is the criteria for removal? i.e. more than 20cm on roof?
What is the main purpose - less weight/water on roof to prevent what kind of damage specifically (I can think of a few but what is the main concern)?
THANKS.

With the crazy weather that Ontario has had in the last month, cold, warm, cold, warm etc, it has caused one of my roofs to suffer from "ice dammning" and caused water to leak into the suite causeing damages. I had to get somone to remove the snow/ice to stop the water but the damager was done. A little preventative snow removal, especially on the south side would have prevented it and saved me a lot of money. I hate learning that way

Real

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
You can pick up a roof rake from Rona, Canadian Tire or any other Home store. It allows you to pull the snow off of the roof from at least the first several feet from the edge. This will prevent the ice damming and allows you to clear it from the safety of the ground. It`s much safer than going up there, and much cheaper that hiring a contractor to do it. It works extremely great on bungalows.

dplummer

Registered
The ice damning is an indicator of heat loss and/or poor attic ventilation. The snow load has to do with weight on the roof. While removing the snow may let the sun melt the ice away, you still have the first problem that I mentioned. Check out CMHC wesite on ice damns. Great info & help.

Doug

Nir

REIN Member
David, Real and Doug,

Thanks, GREAT advice!

I purchased a roof rake and spent 3 hours(!) removing a lot of ice and snow from the roof. There is some ceiling damage but not too bad. The person removing the snow in this Plex should have done the roof too but I am the one who hired him so obviously it is my fault. I came there with a handyman and think I understand what happened: the person who smokes in the unit opened the window. together with the fact the fascia on part of that side does not have a lip, ice went and melted inside. Therefore in addition to drywall replacement I will have to replace some of the fascias. we do not think there is damage to the roof (cross fingers) which is in an OK condition.

Regards,
Neil

Top Bottom