Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bathroom Ceiling Fan

Millions

Registered
Hey,

I have a suited house in Cambrian Heights. There are no Ceiling fans in both bathrooms. Upstairs has a high ceiling though and both have windows so for upstairs im not to worried. Its also 50 years old and still standing so it cant be that bad.

In the basement bathroom though, I have noticed some mold above starting. I used a mold spray and got rid of it. A little bit beside the shower as well.

Ceiling is very low. There is a window but chances of them opening it are slim.

Should I be really concerned for putting a fan there? Id have to drill through the concrete, etc.

I have heard about $400-$600 to get it in there.

Not to bad I suppose. Should this be a high priority?

Or does anyone know any professionals in Calgary who do this?

housingrental

Registered
Yes you should get it done
Moisture is a huge problem in most rentals
If tenants take long hot showers, don`t open windows, etc.. you will have mold forming on ceilings and walls without a fan
Get one installed and properly vented asap

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
I totally agree with Adam;

We do this with all our units. Also - try to get a fan that will engage at various times of the day on it`s own.

Further to this, ensure that your kitchen hood fan is vented outside, and I am even putting in higher powered fans to draw out more moisture as we`ve had issues with ice collecting on windows in the extreme cold, etc.

Air exchange and flow is critical!

Best of luck;

craigw

Registered
You definatly want to put a fan in. If you have had mold already there will be more. You should not have to go through concrete as the fan will be placed between the floor joists and the vent will run out through the rim rim joist. A good thing to do on rental properties is hook the fan up to the light switch so it is always on when the lights are on. If you have any more questions send me an email at [email protected] .

Craig

HeatherBrandt

Registered
We have found that windows in bathrooms are almost useless for controlling moisture, they are rarely opened. In our own house, the ensuite bathroom opened to our large master bedroom (some crazy `80s kind of design, I guess no privacy required) plus had a window that we kept open when the weather allowed. We redid the bathroom from top to bottom this summer and there was still some mold behind the shower. The house was built in 1980.

For our rentals, whenever we do any work in a bathroom we add a fan. Our contractor is getting good at climbing around in attics! In one basement, the options were limited. We found a bathroom fan that was meant to be installed in the wall rather than the ceiling. He took out the window, installed the fan in its place and neatly cut out a section of drywall to run power to the fan. I assume most contractors could figure out a solution for the problem.

I think it`s one of those pay now or pay later problems, and paying later usually means paying a lot more!

housedoc

Registered
Good answers!
I would only add: Make sure that there is not another source of water/moisture.
- leaks or overflows from unit(s) above
- water getting behind tiles or stall
- gutter, downspout, grading or foundation issues.

Millions

Registered
Hmm Interesting. I think with thise house, there is such a high concrete foundation that goes well above the roof of the bathroom downstairs so im not sure how else to do it. Do you have any ideas?

I can send you an email. Mine is [email protected]

Matt

QUOTE (craigw @ Nov 15 2009, 02:36 PM) You definatly want to put a fan in. If you have had mold already there will be more. You should not have to go through concrete as the fan will be placed between the floor joists and the vent will run out through the rim rim joist. A good thing to do on rental properties is hook the fan up to the light switch so it is always on when the lights are on. If you have any more questions send me an email at [email protected] .

Craig

TerryKruse

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Nov 16 2009, 05:53 AM) Good answers!
I would only add: Make sure that there is not another source of water/moisture.
- leaks or overflows from unit(s) above
- water getting behind tiles or stall
- gutter, downspout, grading or foundation issues.

I recently had a wall fan put in a basement bathroom. This turns on when the light switch goes on, insuring your tenants use the fan.

I used Peter of MCJ Contracting 403-370-9180. He is creative and can usually figure out a good method for installation that "hopefully" is cost effective.

Cheers, Terry

Anonymous

Registered
The fan that comes on when the light switch is turned on is a great product.
Don`t ever expect your tenant do what is merely logical to you. People think differently and your property is not a high priority for a renter. Peace of mind is priceless!

lilbuffet

Registered
I currently purchased a condo and there is a fan in the bathroom, but its not wired. How hard would this be to do? anyone got any contacts?

Top Bottom