Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best Financing for a Mix Use Property

reinvestors88

Registered
We are considering to buy a rental property with a residential and commercial zoning. We checked with a bank lender if they will be willing to take the mortgage but they declined it because of the zoning. Is there a better way to finance this?

Your expert advise is much appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Talk to a mortgage broker. Likely you will get up to 65-70% or so LTV, with higher interest rate than pure residential. Depends on income and area. Lower LTV (and/or higher interest rate) for small towns or weird sub-location or poor income or huge deferred maintenance. Often local credit unions are good sources of capital in smaller markets !

reinvestors88

Registered
We also checked with a credit union but they also declined to commit. The property is in great location and shape with rental income of 1% of our planned Offer price. Yes, I will approach a mortgage broker in this case.

Thanks Thomas for your advice.

RobMacdonald

Registered
Where is the property you are looking at? As Thomas mentioned, you'll have to check with many different lenders.

At the end of the day, you may have to pay a slightly higher interest rate, but sounds like the overall investment is worth it.

Let me know if I can help out.

reinvestors88

Registered
Thanks Rob. The property is in one of the best cities in Ontario and will generate descent cash flow after paying all expenses.

As Thomas suggested, I arranged appointments with local (instead of national which I previously approached) credit unions who are more familiar in the area and go from there.

I'll be in touch Rob. Thanks again.

Top Bottom