boiler or gas furnance

feetup

Registered
I am looking at a threeplex with a boiler that is shot and if i were to aquier whould i replace boiler or think about a gas furnance has anyone bine down this road.
Thanks.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (luckey3 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:37 PM) I am looking at a threeplex with a boiler that is shot and if i were to aquier whould i replace boiler or think about a gas furnance has anyone bine down this road.
Thanks.

I`m not a tradesman so not sure on replacement costs and wear. What I do know is hot water heat is much more even and comfortable heat and possibly more efficient. Bear in mind you already have the infrastructure in place for hot water heat.

JoefromTO

REIN Member
I`m curious, when apartment buildings have boilers, do they also have air conditioning? Since they probably don`t have any ducting, I suspect that forced air airconditioning won`t exist and instead each apartment would have to have the window installed units...is this a correct observation?

housingrental

Registered
Joe - Yes. Most buildings with with this don`t provide ac to tenants. I think there`s also in wall type that can be added but I`ve never seen them.

brentdavies

Registered
Be cautious when converting from hot water heating-steam heating to forced air in multi unit buildings.

Forced air furnaces are usually not allowed in multifamily, unless the furnace services one unit only. So 3 furances instead of one boiler.

Fire code upgrades will force you to install fire dampers in every fire seperation penatration on both the supply and return systems. We are currently having this issue in Edmonton, and the fire department is making us all kinds of upgrades on the forced air furnace system for an old 9 suite walkup with a forced air furnance.

No in suite control on heating control, fire alarm-duct detector- furnance shutdown relays required, furnance room sprinkler heads, mulitple fire dampers to be installed in ductwork.

Check with the local building inspector and fire department before starting.

bigbabba

Registered
if you have a boiler system then you must get another boiler to replace it, unless you want to completely renovate the hvac system in the building, which of course is very expensive and there is no point to it. Boiler systems are more efficient as well over a forced gas furnace, and yes, if you really wanted to convert you will need 3 furnaces on top of all the ductwork. Get one boiler and done.

as far as the a/c goes, you can get window shakers or a ductless splits in each apartment..window shakers are alot less money.

hope that helps

feetup

Registered
Thanks for the advice friends i think i will go with the new boiler sounds like the only way to go..

JoefromTO

REIN Member
This topic has raised an interesting question. I`m curious what people would say is the "ideal" multi-unit building setup...

However, I am going to start up another thread to address this.

I`ll call it, "the ideal multi-unit building"

Kimberly

Registered
I`m in somewhat of the same situation. Boiler not shot but currently looking at timing of expense at this point.
Consider getting an energy audit done. If you install the appropriate new condensing boiler, above 85% efficient, then there are major rebates back from both the federal and Ontario government ( www.homeenergyontario.ca). Worth the investigation. Any home heating professional should also be able to inform you of what you`d qualify for.

Something else I`m investigating for use with cast iron rads in my triplex... Novitherm heat reflectors... check them out www.novitherm.com. or call 1-866-382-5505. The aluminized surface reflects 93% of the infra-red heat, normally absorbed by the wall behind the radiator, back into the room. Also, the air trapped behind the reflector panel prevents conductive heat loss to the exterior. Less energy is used, therefore, the water returned to the boiler is warmer ie less energy to heat it up to a specific level to recirculate it.

Check out the site. Makes sense. I`m looking at installing them over the summer when the boiler is shut down.

I`d be interested if anyone else has already tried them.

terri

Registered
QUOTE (luckey3 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:37 PM) I am looking at a threeplex with a boiler that is shot and if i were to aquier whould i replace boiler or think about a gas furnance has anyone bine down this road.
Thanks.

I personally love radiators, I have them in a couple of my properties and they are way more efficient than the houses with forced air gas. It`s a lot easier to control the temp individually. My heating /ac guy installed a great boiler for me, it can handle 3 seperate lines, so each fl can ahve it`s own thermostat. Instead I opted for the 2nd/3rd to be on one thermostat, the main and basement on another, and the hot water tank supplied by the 3rd, this way I never run out fo hot water even though I only have 1 -70 gallon tank to supply all 3 units, there are 3 washers, 3 dishwashers, and 3 bathrooms, and there`s never a problem with hot water.

I installed ductless a/c units in each apt and they do a great job of cooling the space. I prefer this to one a/c unit that controls the whole buiding b/c some of my tenants are very green and don`t like to use a/c at all.

ductless a/c units are pricey however, I think they start at about $2500 for a small single slimpack with condenser.

terri

dbutler

Registered
One other great observation I have made about boilers is that given there is no duct work involved, the smells from one unit to another don`t have an option to circulate as easy therefore keeping each unit more contained.

terri

Registered
QUOTE (dbutler @ Feb 26 2009, 09:50 AM) One other great observation I have made about boilers is that given there is no duct work involved, the smells from one unit to another don`t have an option to circulate as easy therefore keeping each unit more contained.

as well, if one of the units is in the basement you do not have the over head height issues that you do with forced air gas ducting that runs the whole length of the house.

jublack2000

Registered
Hi Kimberley,

I'm a fellow Londoner... I was wondering if you ever did try out the Novitherm product that you mentioned in this post, and if so what did you think of it?

Thanks!

Juliana