Book on Commercial Real Estate

john75

Registered
Mar 29, 2008
Hi Neil,

I also read the book. I recommend it. Lots of information and tips on commercial real estate. I also suggest doing a quick google search. I found price variances of $50 for the book when I bought it .

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
Thank You John!

I purchased the book yesterday and I am really excited about this opportunity to expand my knowledge especially on apartment buildings.

Regards,
Neil

TangoWhiskey

Registered
Aug 26, 2010
I read that one using an interlibrary loan (amazing value for money service) along with a few other commercial RE investing books mostly drawn from RE MBA's in the US. The two Canadian RE MBA's course reference materials were very general and poor in their source material (I thought).

The first 50 pages of the Boiron book were excellent as they had actual owner insights but then it got too heavy on arcane technical details that often pertained primarily to Ontario or things like collateralized mortgage pools, which aren't that relevant as your commercial mortgage broker should tell you that side of things.

For my money, the most insights I've found in any RE academic book are Peter Linnemann RE Finance and Investments: Risks and Opportunities. I especially liked his quote at one chapter end that "Patience and the ability to say no are a RE investors two biggest assets." You have to skim for these insights but they are frequent and excellent coming from a guy running perhaps the most respected Real Estate MBA in the US (Wharton). Get it from the library first and decide if you want a copy;) - I'd choose that one over Boiron.