Brantford Student Rentals

AdamBlackmore

Registered
Hello all!!

I am just curious about Brantford student rentals. Don mentioned a shortage of decent student housing at the last REIN meeting. There is a small population of Laurier/Nipissing students near the downtwon core and I imagine you would need to be at least 15min or so walk away from campus to rent to students. (2500 total, or about 1300 I guess whom need off campus housing when you take into account residences/communters/live at home).

1) What are the popular student streets?
2) Periphery of student area?
3) Signs of downtown revitalizing?
4) Saturation factor?

I am curious about area, any input anyone who has any experience in Brantford would be appreciated. You can e-mail as well at [email protected]

Thanks,
Adam

housingrental

Registered
I`m not an expert on Brantford so this info might not be too helpful.

I`ve met many landlords from Brantford. I`ve never seen any that have made decent money off operations in the last few years. Student, multi-family, single family - all have bled.

When I`ve looked at the student market there seemed to be lots of vacancies and for the investor property choices with lots of deferred maintenance.

CollegeRentals

Registered
Adam,

Based on my brief experience with student housing in Brantford I`ve had no problems to date. No vacancies, minimum maintenance. I have just kept the same principles as my student houses in Hamilton - Buy a structurally solid house that is asthetically pleasing and within a 10 minute walk of the campus. Rental rates are similar to Hamilton ($350 - $500/room) and housing prices are about half as much. Moreover, if students can walk to campus from the house you can greatly reduce your vacancy rate.

If a house is well maintained and in good clean condition the students will take care of it - if not it will get ruined. Same theory applies to Brantford as any other College city.

I just purchased a second property in downtown Brantford. The downtown core is going through a massive renovation, plus Mohawk College is moving their Brantford campus downtown, potentially for September, 2010. They estimate there to be an increase from 4,800 to 19,000 students in downtown Brantford in the next 25 years (by comparison McMaster has 20,000 right now).

Short but informative read: http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/679004

housingrental

Registered
Yes student tenants can be great.

I`ve not seen anyone operating there for awhile make much money from operations.... but good to hear you`ve done well so far

AdamBlackmore

Registered
Cameron and Adam,

Thank you for your input!!!! Always appreciated!! Glad to hear your experience in Brantford is positive Cameron.

Adam.

GoRentFreeFast

Registered
Bradford "was" a quiet investment boom town... I`ve been grabbing everything i can there for the last 3 years and rentals are off the charts.

Now...Not so quiet (Thanks Don
) and still very much a student rental boom town.

Philip

LukasWywrot

REIN Member
Where about are the student area`s in Brantford.

I know that the downtown has quite a few spots, where else?

Where have you people been purchasing your properties?

Thanks,

Luke

CollegeRentals

Registered
QUOTE (LukasWywrot @ Dec 11 2009, 06:27 PM) Where about are the student area`s in Brantford.

I know that the downtown has quite a few spots, where else?

Where have you people been purchasing your properties?

Thanks,

Luke

Luke,

My theory in student rentals has always been to keep them within a 15 minute walk of campus. This ensures minimal, if any, vacancies. In Brantford you won`t find specific areas that are dominated by student housing, unlike the Westdale area of Hamilton surrounding McMaster University. As such I would take your regular due diligence in finding a house and keep it within a comfortable walk to campus.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Cameron