Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Broker Commission

Gerricklas

New Forum Member
Registered
I am planning to buy a house and I am about to contact a real estate agent in Mississauga called Royal LePage Real Estate Services Ltd. Before contacting them, I want to know how much do they charge as commission. Is there a fixed amount or is it different for each agent? Can someone help?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
It is freely negotiable but there are ranges/norms. Usually as a buyer you pay nothing, directly. It is of course buried in the sale price of the house. Usually the seller pays a commission, and usually the buyer's broker takes 50% of the seller's commission.

However, you might be asked to pay more of it or offer it (i.e. top it up), or less (unusual) or a fixed % or a minimum as the buyer. I would not sign that, but it is up to you. Some sellers pay 6% on the first $100,000 then 3% on the balance, some negotiate a 2.5 to 3% flat fee depending on the price of the house or the overall market (the higher the home value the lower the % and the 5-6% on the first $100,000 goes away usually, say over $600,000). Some discount brokers charge one percent or less, but also do little for it. Your buyer's agent may not show you this house, although it might be a good fit. As such you could offer, in writing, "I will always pay you at least 1.5%"

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Last edited:

Alex Pang

Registered
Depending on who you talk to, you can ask your buyer's agent for a kick back of part of their commission for using their services, to help you with your upfront costs. Some may agree to do it, some won't. Of course if you do, you run the risk of them giving you less than stellar service. Like Thomas said, you don't have to pay anything to them - they earn their commission from part of the seller's realtor commission. But just like human nature, if they're earning more with you vs less with another client, they're likely to work harder for you.

Kjeck

New Forum Member
Registered
Commission is usually in the range of 3.0% to 3.5% and up to about 5%. But as Thomas wrote, it could be negotiated. In most cases total commission is divided 50/50 between the listing and selling broker. The last one typically receives 2 to 2.5% and the remaining amount is paid to the listing brokerage.

flatraterealestateu

New Forum Member
Registered
Well! I f we talk about commission then Low Commission Realtor's are most demanding because none want to pay extra amount of money to the brokers and i am completely agree with Kjeck that Commission is usually in the range of 3.0% to 3.5% and up to about 5%.

Devin Roberts

Devin Roberts - Brent Roberts Realty
REIN Member
Hi, I work with Royal LePage in the Vancouver area. All of the above are great comments. Royal LePage is just the brokerage, the commission charged is dependent on the individual Realtor. Though, as Tina mentioned, the seller pays the commission. The standard commission is dependent on the type of property, agent, and market. Locally, we charge 7% on first 100k and 3.225% on the remainder. While some areas, agents, and types of properties charge a flat rate on commission. This commission is split around half (between 50-54% for Listing Realtor, and 46-50% for cooperating Realtor) for each agents. I know several agents with Royal LePage in Mississauga if you are still looking. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Michel Lafleur

Frequent Forum Member
REIN Member
Lots of good responses on here already. I work with Re/Max Real Estate in Edmonton.
If you sign a contract with any Realtor, you are essentially signing a contract with that Realtor's brokerage. If something happens to your Realtor, you are still a contracted client of the brokerage.
For residential real estate the "typical fee" is 7% of the first $100k and 3% of the balance, although Realtors & brokerages can negotiate to whatever fee they agree upon. That fee (typically paid by the seller) is split 50/50 between the seller's & buyer's Realtors (3.5/1.5 each.)
As a buyer, you should not have to pay anything unless you're asking your Realtor to find you something unique & difficult to find.
Working with many buyers, for the fee I will usually write "3.5% of the first $100,000 and 1.5% of the balance of the final sale price - to be paid by the sellers." In this case the Realtor ensures that they get their payment, and you as the buyer ensure that the fee is paid for by the seller.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Buyers of course pay commission. If the seller received higher net proceeds then the buyer would pay a lower price.

Top Bottom