Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Building a Garage

dwb

Registered
Would love to get some insight from the brilliant minds here..Here we go... I have a house (used as a duplex) on the front of a very, very large lot. There is a TON of unused land behind this house. I`ve approached the city about severing the land so I can build on it, they said no. I approached the city about changing the zoning to allow multi-unit, they said no. I approached the city about building a "carriage house" or guest house, they said they no longer allow that. No, no,no.

But they DID
said I can build a garage. In fact that was what they suggested to me.

Here`s my very vague, initial brainstorming thinking:
Can I get architectural plans drafted up for a "garage" with an upper level entrance with bedrooms, windows, bathrooms small kitchen etc... & rent out the top part to a tenant? There is a home down the street building currently doing exactly this which is exactly what I want... so if it passed the city permits then mine likely should too.

My question is, once the permit for me to build this is passed, can I then eventually install carpet, a lower level kitchen, lower level bathroom & windows in the large opening for the garage doors and THEN rent it to a tenant lower level as well. This will effectively create two duplexes on one lot (with the rear duplex technically catagorized as a garage) & will DOUBLE my current cashflow?

Would I need to use garage leases for the tenants?

Is this a far-fectched idea?

It seems a shame to have to look at all this valuable land being unable to be used for higher and better income use at the moment.

invst4profit

Registered
Essentially what you are asking is can I get approval to build a garage and over time convert it to a carriage house/residential residence.Yes assuming you have the skills and abilities to do the construction or hire someone with the skills and abilities to do the work without permits.The down side is it`s illegal and if you get caught will be fined and forced to remove everything that is not strictly considered a garage.

So I guess the answer is no
as the municipality has already indicated.

dwb

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Aug 13 2009, 08:41 AM) Essentially what you are asking is can I get approval to build a garage and over time convert it to a carriage house/residential residence.Yes assuming you have the skills and abilities to do the construction or hire someone with the skills and abilities to do the work without permits.The down side is it`s illegal and if you get caught will be fined and forced to remove everything that is not strictly considered a garage.

So I guess the answer is no
as the municipality has already indicated.

You can`t rent out garages?

invst4profit

Registered
Yes you can rent out garages for storage, parking,work shops etc.
I thought you were asking if it would be permitted for someone to live in it. Garages are not permitted for use as residential habitation.

dwb

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Aug 13 2009, 10:19 AM) Yes you can rent out garages for storage, parking,work shops etc.
I thought you were asking if it would be permitted for someone to live in it. Garages are not permitted for use as residential habitation.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate that you are trying to help and I value your advice.

There must be a way to make this work.

Perhaps I`ll try harder to get the city on board with changing the city (any suggestions?), or at the very least approving plans to have an above garage dwelling permitting residential tenant living there... half a pie is better than no pie at all I guess.

invst4profit

Registered
Do you see a dwelling over a garage as being different in some way from a "carriage house" or guest house.
you will not be successful in getting what you are after because they do not want the very thing you are trying to have.
They do not want additional residences on the same lot regardless of the size or configuration.

dwb

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Aug 13 2009, 11:23 AM) you will not be successful in getting what you are after because they do not want the very thing you are trying to have.
They do not want additional residences on the same lot regardless of the size or configuration.

Perrhaps you`re right.

Perhaps I should just accept such easily perceived & accepted mass understanding of the way municipalities operate. Sheesh, to think I could find a possible way to make it work. How stupid of me.

But I can`t help ask myself... what would Anton LaVey do?

Doesn`t he have some saying or something about rising above perceived mass conformity?

invst4profit

Registered
There are just some things in life not worth doing.
I draw the line at fighting government bureaucracy.
Waste of time valuable or otherwise.

greg12

Registered
QUOTE Here`s my very vague, initial brainstorming thinking: Can I get architectural plans drafted up for a "garage" with an upper level entrance with bedrooms, windows, bathrooms small kitchen etc... & rent out the top part to a tenant? There is a home down the street building currently doing exactly this which is exactly what I want... so if it passed the city permits then mine likely should too.

Are you sure it passed the city permits? What city is this in?

markbrad

Registered
When you say you approached the city... Did you just ask? or did you walk into the planning office with a lot plan, a building plan, rental stats (if there is a shortage in your area) upcoming new projects that may require somewhere for new people to live, or any other relevant info. Have you read up on the zoning bylaws? What is your lot zoned, and what does that mean? How wide is your lot? Is there room to subdivide side by side? This could show an increase in the tax base to the city. How old is the house? Could it be used as leverage to subdivide and build new... ie "I`ll redo the exterior to new condition if I am permitted to subdivide and build new on the other lot"

Just a few thoughts

Mark

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (dwb @ Aug 13 2009, 11:17 AM) Perhaps I should just accept such easily perceived & accepted mass understanding of the way municipalities operate. Sheesh, to think I could find a possible way to make it work. How stupid of me.

I`d say keep pushing, and find other to help. That said, there may be other ways to achieve your goals, which is what others are trying to say.

Top Bottom