Business Network International

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
I`ve been looking into starting a networking group to not only increase my business, but to meet other positive, successful entrepreneurs.

Does anyone have any experience with BNI?

Is anyone interested in joining such a group (or know someone who is)?

heres the website http://www.bncanada.ca/

Thanks,

Dave Rhydderch

doblo7

Registered
Jul 13, 2010
I was a memeber for 2 years and all I got was grief! Unfortunately the people that seem to be in BNI are people wanting to make connections themselves and not pass on business. That isn`t to say they are all bad but the advice would be be wary before investing in this as by the time you`ve paid your joining fee, meals & time taken out of your day it can mount up. Of course you`ll be welcomed by the lawyer & finance members as thye will be looking to you to give them business - the trouble is those people would find it hard to give you new business. I hope that helps!

RobMacdonald

Registered
Oct 16, 2007
Cloverdale
I looked into BNI, but never went through with it. THe existing chapters were impossible to get into as a mortgage broker, and I wasn`t confident with the quality of a new group to commit financially to it.

I started my own networking group in my local area with a couple of other professionals I already dealt with. I has been very successful in the first 3 to 4 months and we`re up to 10 members. The good thing is that I can control the quality and types of individuals that want to attend.

The downside is that without a finanical commitment, you really need to have people that are committed to coming and believe in the power of networking.

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (RobMacdonald @ Jul 13 2010, 11:19 AM) I looked into BNI, but never went through with it. THe existing chapters were impossible to get into as a mortgage broker, and I wasn`t confident with the quality of a new group to commit financially to it.

I started my own networking group in my local area with a couple of other professionals I already dealt with. I has been very successful in the first 3 to 4 months and we`re up to 10 members. The good thing is that I can control the quality and types of individuals that want to attend.

The downside is that without a finanical commitment, you really need to have people that are committed to coming and believe in the power of networking.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Starting my own network group is a very interesting idea. I agree the lack of financial commitment is an issue. People don`t value what they get for free.