Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buyer beware on snowbird deals.

DragonflyProperties

Registered
Hi all,

An article from today`s edition of The Edmonton Journal. Excerpts:

Buying vacation properties essentially has the same caveats as investing in any real estate in Canada: Buy something you like in an area you like at a price you can afford.

But investing in that sun-splashed, American dream condo will almost certainly have more risks than buying in Canada.

Pat McKeough, portfolio manager and publisher of investor newsletters, including The Successful Investor, recently warned clients about the possible pitfalls of buying a U.S. property:

- Beware of unexpected costs.
- Take a skeptical view of U.S. bargains.
- How long do you plan to spend at your new home?
- Any rental income you hope to generate in part depends on the weather.
- If you buy in a new condo development you could face the risk of your fees increasing without warning, and some new developments can go out of business before your unit is even built.

For our part, we are not buying because our condo here in Waikiki would stretch our modest resources to a point where we might become "house poor." But we are intrigued when we see condos for sale here at $50,000 and less. Intrigued, yes, but skeptical.

Don Campbell has talked about this issue often - invest in Canada and then rent your dream condo for a week, a month or whatever.

A few weeks ago an investigative reporter for a local paper (The Vancouver Sun) had a great article about exempt market dealers (all he does is investigate and report on the murky goings on in the often seedy world of publicly traded companies). I sent him an e-mail asking what process he follows to research companies and individuals (when the companies aren`t listed on an exchange). At the end of his response he said:

The problem is, most unsophisticated investors don`t know how to go through the process, or don`t want to. They fall for the sales pitch and it doesn`t matter what you tell them, they are going to invest.

I think the same holds true for US investment and vacation properties. Either people won`t do their due diligence or they will ignore that which doesn`t agree with what they want to hear. And they will complain later if and when it goes badly. Of course, if your niche is US properties or you really do proper due diligence it is a different story.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/fp...8480/story.html

Keith

Rickson9

Registered
I bought a number of U.S. properties without any problems. It`s so easy it`s almost unfair.

All these fear articles talk about ridiculous stuff like fee-simple vs. leasehold (eg. Hawaii), high property taxes charged to `alien` owners (eg. Florida), etc.

Not sure where you should buy in a massive city? Go to the city web site and download their violent crime and property crime data and focus on the zip codes that don`t have any. Want your tenant to have easy access to public transportation? Visit the same web site again and download their public transit/light rail/subway maps and cross reference them with the crime maps. Is this really that hard?

Still scared? Contact somebody like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLA_WJe9Hb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee8mmsKObuM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mlLo3der0

These people are in virtually every U.S. city with distressed RE and they can hold your hand all day long.

People in Toronto are fighting to pay $400++ per sq ft while I`m buying the same quality down south for $35 p sq ft. The cash flow is ridiculous. People in Toronto and Calgary fighting for multiplexes at $50K per door? I`ve seen $15K per door obo! In addition, if I want to fly to any of these hot-spots my costs are all deductable expenses because I am `inspecting` my investment properties.

The only restriction is that to buy in the U.S. you need to have cold hard cash. The banks are flush with TARP money, but they`re not lending any of it out. Not a penny. If you try to arrange a mortgage to buy your property via a Canadian bank that does business through a U.S. subsidiary (eg. BMO/Harris) you will be too slow and likely rejected anyway. A bank-owned 1000 sq ft, 2 bed 2 bath condo that that generates $700-$800 p month in rent that is listed for $45K ($130 p month maintenance + $30 p mo. insurance + $85 p mo property management + $80 p mo property tax) will sell to a cash buyer for $40K before they take a financed offer of $50K.

"In November, for instance, Smith Equities Real Estate Investment Advisors of Orlando sold 640 units at Park Central in South Orlando to a Canadian buyer for $58,750 per condo."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os...ntinel/business

With regards to market dealers, if you`re going to pass on the responsibility of DD and buying an asset to somebody else, you deserve what you get.

In closing, um yeah buyer beware on snowbird properties. Actually stay away. I`m dealing with enough bloody Canadian buyers already down here. Damn bottom feeders...

Top Bottom