Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buyers Market in Calgary

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
People have perhaps realized that condos are poor investments unless you are in a land locked area ?

Cars rule in Calgary and Edmonton and most suburbs can be reached in 1/2 h or less. So why get a condo ? In addition, most condos are overpriced tiny shoeboxes with minimal appreciation potential, uncontrollable condo fees and often poorly built with hard to enforce building deficiencies. Of all my real estate investments over the last 20 years condos were probably the lowest ROIs.

Money is made in land ownership in expanding regions. Buy land ( with a house on it ) not a condo if you wish to make some decent gains.

Tyler - Picket Fence Properties

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Couldn't agree more! A few years ago we bought a 2B2B condo in West Edm where the Whitemud and Henday converge..we get great cashflow because of the location but have experience negligible appreciation (perhaps even a decline in value) but have faired exceptionally well in SFH side. Lesson learned!

Rickson9

Registered
I also agree.

Another opportunity occurs during Great Recessions. Like the one in 2008.

Phoenix 2/2 golf-course condos rent for $800-$850/mo and sold for $40,000 in 2010. Today they sell for $100,000. Decent for cash flow and appreciation but I expect the latter to be diminishing returns. And it was very easy to buy 10 of them (or 100s) because nobody wanted them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom