Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buying into a small Condo project

mvanlaar

REIN Member
Hello,

I`m considering buying into a small condo project. There are a total of 4 units in the condo. Do you have any advice on buying into this kind of building? (I`m going through the regular condo due diligence.)

Also, it looks like I`ll be on the condo board. Do you have any advice on being on the condo board?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,

Maurice Van Laar

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
#1 Complete the FULL Due Diligence Program

#2 Make sure that the reserve fund is well funded

#3 If you can meet the other owners/buyers do so, with such a small group you will want to know EXACTLY who you are getting into business with

#4 YES, by all means get on the board (make sure the condo has directors insurance to cover your director liability). Be active, it will be a different dynamic with only 4 owners so you will want to be in the middle of it so it doesn`t go off the rails.

mvanlaar

REIN Member
Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your advice. Here is the conclusion to my persuit of these properties:

I was looking at buying 3 of the 4 units (the first had already been sold), but turned down buying into this project for these reasons:

[list type=decimal][*]The condo conversion is not finished. There is no board of directors, no bylaws, no reserve fund, but condo docs have been filed and there is a condo corporation.[*]Buying 3 units would have meant I would have essentially taken over the unfinished condo conversion project and have had the responsibility of it while paying a premium for the units. If there was a lot of cashflow it would be worth considering, but not when the units just break-even.I could have bought the REIN Condo Conversion package and got up to speed on what should have been done, but I haven`t dealt with Condos before at all so there would have been a lot to learn.Hey... I`m still a rookie. These would have been my 2nd, 3rd and 4th properties and I didn`t want to get bogged down with continual work (condo board) while still working 9-5 and living out of town.[/list type=decimal]Reason #2 is really why I didn`t proceed with this project. The other reasons were important, but were not show stoppers.

Bye for now,

Maurice

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mvanlaar @ Sep 20 2008, 11:51 AM) Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your advice. Here is the conclusion to my persuit of these properties:

I was looking at buying 3 of the 4 units (the first had already been sold), but turned down buying into this project for these reasons:

[list type=decimal][*]The condo conversion is not finished. There is no board of directors, no bylaws, no reserve fund, but condo docs have been filed and there is a condo corporation.[*]Buying 3 units would have meant I would have essentially taken over the unfinished condo conversion project and have had the responsibility of it while paying a premium for the units. If there was a lot of cashflow it would be worth considering, but not when the units just break-even.I could have bought the REIN Condo Conversion package and got up to speed on what should have been done, but I haven`t dealt with Condos before at all so there would have been a lot to learn.Hey... I`m still a rookie. These would have been my 2nd, 3rd and 4th properties and I didn`t want to get bogged down with continual work (condo board) while still working 9-5 and living out of town.[/list type=decimal]Reason #2 is really why I didn`t proceed with this project. The other reasons were important, but were not show stoppers.

Bye for now,

Maurice
at the right price this MAY BE a great project to buy into .. it is not hard to finish a conversion .. and if you have financing lined up .. why not .. AT THE RIGHT PRICE !

Where is this project ? What is each unit selling for ? and what is the rough rent / month ? What type ? 2B ? 4 BR + yard ?

dianeduckett

Registered
Hi

I own condos in med. size buildings (21 - 40 units) and am on 3 boards. I know people who own in small projects. To me it seems desirable, as long as the other owners are reasonable people. Essentially you are in partnership with 3 others, so you had better know them !! There is work to be done, if you are self-managed, but you save on management fees. I guess it just depends on the "partners". I wouldn`t want to get into this personally you are an owner occupier and the other 3 are rented, with absentee landlords.

QUOTE (mvanlaar @ Sep 5 2008, 08:34 AM) Hello,

I`m considering buying into a small condo project. There are a total of 4 units in the condo. Do you have any advice on buying into this kind of building? (I`m going through the regular condo due diligence.)

Also, it looks like I`ll be on the condo board. Do you have any advice on being on the condo board?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,

Maurice Van Laar

mvanlaar

REIN Member
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Sep 20 2008, 01:26 PM) at the right price this MAY BE a great project to buy into .. it is not hard to finish a conversion .. and if you have financing lined up .. why not .. AT THE RIGHT PRICE !

Where is this project ? What is each unit selling for ? and what is the rough rent / month ? What type ? 2B ? 4 BR + yard ?

Hi Thomas,

• The project is in NE Edmonton.
  • The units were listed at $199,900, but I`m not sure if they`re still on the market.
  • Two units are rented for $1200 and the other for $1100.Tenants pay utilities.The units have 3 bedrooms upstairs, a main floor and a basement with hookups for laundry. They are quite nice.Condo fees have been set at $65/month, but have never been collected.
What do you think?

ciao,

Maurice

mvanlaar

REIN Member
QUOTE (dianeduckett @ Sep 20 2008, 04:45 PM) Hi

I own condos in med. size buildings (21 - 40 units) and am on 3 boards. I know people who own in small projects. To me it seems desirable, as long as the other owners are reasonable people. Essentially you are in partnership with 3 others, so you had better know them !! There is work to be done, if you are self-managed, but you save on management fees. I guess it just depends on the "partners". I wouldn`t want to get into this personally you are an owner occupier and the other 3 are rented, with absentee landlords.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Maurice

Top Bottom