Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calculating ROI

Thorin

Registered
I am wondering if anyone has a fairly simple calculation of ROI in Real Estate Investing. I tried to look it up on google and just got confused. I thought ROI was just your monthly rent you collect / your total cash investment. I know that this is something I will need to understand for REI and especially for approaching JV partners in the future.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (Thorin @ Oct 17 2009, 04:14 PM) I am wondering if anyone has a fairly simple calculation of ROI in Real Estate Investing. I tried to look it up on google and just got confused. I thought ROI was just your monthly rent you collect / your total cash investment. I know that this is something I will need to understand for REI and especially for approaching JV partners in the future.

ROI means return on investments. What did you invest? Your down payment plus any future renovation costs (not maintenance). What did/do you get in return?
1: positive cashflow (accumulated during years of ownership)
2: Upon sale of your unit or when refinancing that portion of the mortgage principal that has been paid off
3: Sales proceeds minus purchase price minus the costs of renovations (other than plain maintenance which is financed out of cashflow).

So your profit or return is 1+2+3. Return on investment (ROI) is the percentage of profit in respect of your investment:

ROI = Profit/investment x 100% = (1+2+3)/(downpayment+renovation costs)x100%

Hope this helps.

Thorin

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 17 2009, 05:23 PM) ROI means return on investments. What did you invest? Your down payment plus any future renovation costs (not maintenance). What did/do you get in return?
1: positive cashflow (accumulated during years of ownership)
2: Upon sale of your unit or when refinancing that portion of the mortgage principal that has been paid off
3: Sales proceeds minus purchase price minus the costs of renovations (other than plain maintenance which is financed out of cashflow).

So your profit or return is 1+2+3. Return on investment (ROI) is the percentage of profit in respect of your investment:

ROI = Profit/investment x 100% = (1+2+3)/(downpayment+renovation costs)x100%

Hope this helps.

Thank you yes it helps a lot

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
There are several ways to calculate ROI. This subject has been covered before. Do a search to find the other methods.

What you need to be clear about is that everyone who is relying on YOUR ROI calculation understands what method you have used.

GoRentFreeFast

Registered
QUOTE (Thorin @ Oct 17 2009, 06:14 PM) I am wondering if anyone has a fairly simple calculation of ROI in Real Estate Investing. I tried to look it up on google and just got confused. I thought ROI was just your monthly rent you collect / your total cash investment. I know that this is something I will need to understand for REI and especially for approaching JV partners in the future.

Hi Scott,
I`m happy to share the ROI sheet we use as a starting point for your calculations...drop me a line and i will forward to you.

[email protected]

Philip

Thorin

Registered
QUOTE (GoRentFreeFast @ Oct 19 2009, 06:14 AM) Hi Scott,
I`m happy to share the ROI sheet we use as a starting point for your calculations...drop me a line and i will forward to you.

[email protected]

Philip

Hi Phillip

Thank you I sent you an email

Top Bottom