Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calgary Secondary Suite query

EleanorCoburn

Registered
Hi - just wondering if anyone has experience with the City's process for shutting down a secondary suite when the zoning meets legal requirements - and how rigorous are they in enforcing it? Complaint/inspection letter from the City was says there are more than the allowable number of dwelling units on the property, contrary to the Land Use Bylaw IP2007.

Property in question is zoned R-C2, Residential - Contextual One/Two Dwelling (listed as such on the City's website) and the IP2007 clearly states that secondary suites are a permitted use in that zoning so I don't understand the complaint. There must be something else I'm not aware of. Parcel width, # of parking spaces and windows all meet IP2007 guidelines.

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer.

MichelSelim

REIN Member
I have been through it last may. It is not fun experience but if you can make the best of it by being cooperative with the inspector. I was told that the process depends on how strict the inspector is. Every one of them is different.

- meet the inspector at the time indicated. If the time doesn't work for you call in and reschedule. They are very understanding

- ask lots of questions so you can turn it around to a learning experience of you can and cannot and take notes. For every thing they told you that you couldn't do I ask them back how can I bring it to code so I can do it.

- keep the business card of the inspector for future reference if needed

In my case I complied with the request to take of the suite however I am in the process of changing the zoning to our RS1 where suites are allowed.

Best of luck,

Top Bottom