Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Can someone with poor credit purchase a small condo with zero down?

NickDavis

REIN Member
Hi all, any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

A friend of mine is currently renting in Port Moody. He has a 1 bedroom, 3 year old condo that the owners have had on the market for a few months without luck. The owners really need to sell it and he really doesn’t want to move so I am trying to think of a solution for him. He hasn’t ever thought about buying before and isn’t really interested in it; however, he is thinking about it now that he may have to move. The thing is he has poor credit and no down payment. So my first thought was doing a lease to own with the current owners.

My suggestion to him was simply sign a legal lease to own agreement with the owners for 3 years where he makes the equivalent of their mortgage payment, property taxes and strata for the term of the lease. At the end of the lease he has the opportunity to purchase the condo for a pre-agreed upon price. For example: they are currently asking $205K for the condo, a similar unit sold for $199K last month and the assessment is $182K. My (unprofessional) opinion was the value was somewhere between $180K-$190K based on comparables on the BC Assessment website sold last year (a majority sold close to BC Assessment.) So I suggested he agree to purchase the Condo in five years for $205K and make their mortgage, strata and property taxes until then. The benefit to the owners is their costs are covered and they don’t have to sell for less than they want as well as they benefit from the mortgage pay down while he makes the payments. The benefit to him is that he has five years to improve his credit situation and has the option to purchase a newer condo for what should be below market value which should allow him to purchase with zero down (if it’s worth $195K today and the market increases 3% per year for five years it will be worth $226K and $226K - $205K leaves him $21K below market.) Would the immediate equity position allow him to purchase with zero down?

Does this sound like a legal and legitimate option? Also, is it fair to say that someone with poor credit and no down payment is unlikely to be approved for a mortgage today? And lastly, can anyone think of any other options?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Lucas

Registered
A couple questions that I would ask...

1. Who pays for the maintenance of the property (ie. fridge craps out or floor gets badly damaged)? Who would pay to insure the property? I would get a better idea of the actual costs associated with the unit, otherwise this could haunt the transaction at a later date...

2. What if your friend wants (or needs) to move before the 5 yr term ends (ie. gets married and has kids, gets transferred)? Does he want to commit to this property for 5 yrs as his principal residence?

3. If he did want to move and utilize this as a revenue property, would it be in his best interest to do so? Are market rents sufficient for him to rent the property out to a third party and generate cashflow from the property? Would the sellers allow this?

4. Is the mortgage payment + strata fees + taxes (and insurance and other applicable costs associated with the unit....aside from the utilities of course) higher than the current rent and can your friend afford the potential increase?

If your friend REALLY wants to stay in the property and plans on living there for 5 yrs minimum AND property makes sense as a revenue property and the sellers are willing to finance him...then why not?

You could do what is called an Agreement for Sale (AFS) that would stipulate what your payments are to the seller, what the final sales price is at the end of the term as well as the duration of the term they are willing to finance the property for. There is a legal document for these tyes of transactions and I believe it is available in the downloads section of this website.

These are just things for your friend to think about. 5 years is a long time to commit to a property just b/c he doesn`t want to move!! It has to make business sense...

Good luck,

Lucas

QUOTE (NickDavis @ May 12 2010, 11:19 PM) Hi all, any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

A friend of mine is currently renting in Port Moody. He has a 1 bedroom, 3 year old condo that the owners have had on the market for a few months without luck. The owners really need to sell it and he really doesn`t want to move so I am trying to think of a solution for him. He hasn`t ever thought about buying before and isn`t really interested in it; however, he is thinking about it now that he may have to move. The thing is he has poor credit and no down payment. So my first thought was doing a lease to own with the current owners.

My suggestion to him was simply sign a legal lease to own agreement with the owners for 3 years where he makes the equivalent of their mortgage payment, property taxes and strata for the term of the lease. At the end of the lease he has the opportunity to purchase the condo for a pre-agreed upon price. For example: they are currently asking $205K for the condo, a similar unit sold for $199K last month and the assessment is $182K. My (unprofessional) opinion was the value was somewhere between $180K-$190K based on comparables on the BC Assessment website sold last year (a majority sold close to BC Assessment.) So I suggested he agree to purchase the Condo in five years for $205K and make their mortgage, strata and property taxes until then. The benefit to the owners is their costs are covered and they don`t have to sell for less than they want as well as they benefit from the mortgage pay down while he makes the payments. The benefit to him is that he has five years to improve his credit situation and has the option to purchase a newer condo for what should be below market value which should allow him to purchase with zero down (if it`s worth $195K today and the market increases 3% per year for five years it will be worth $226K and $226K - $205K leaves him $21K below market.) Would the immediate equity position allow him to purchase with zero down?

Does this sound like a legal and legitimate option? Also, is it fair to say that someone with poor credit and no down payment is unlikely to be approved for a mortgage today? And lastly, can anyone think of any other options?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

NickDavis

REIN Member
Hi Lucas, thanks so much for your quick reply. I have answered in blue after your questions below:

QUOTE (Lucas @ May 12 2010, 11:55 PM) A couple questions that I would ask...

1. Who pays for the maintenance of the property (ie. fridge craps out or floor gets badly damaged)? Who would pay to insure the property? I would get a better idea of the actual costs associated with the unit, otherwise this could haunt the transaction at a later date... Great question. I would suggest he pays for the general maintenance of the property. Eventually he will own the property so he should be responsible for the repairs. I guess, if his intent is to own the unit in the long run and the Lease to Own is to help him purchase it than it makes sense he is responsible.

2. What if your friend wants (or needs) to move before the 5 yr term ends (ie. gets married and has kids, gets transferred)? Does he want to commit to this property for 5 yrs as his principal residence? I may have misunderstood the concept of Lease to Own. I thought if things changed and he walked away from the Condo he would lose the extra money that he invested in it. Because he is paying the current owners total costs they would come out ahead. On the otherhand, if he could simply buy the condo today he would be making the same commitment to the bank.

3. If he did want to move and utilize this as a revenue property, would it be in his best interest to do so? Are market rents sufficient for him to rent the property out to a third party and generate cashflow from the property? Would the sellers allow this? No, the main reason for the current owners wanting to sell the property is because the rent collected doesn`t cover their costs to own the property. This condo would not be a good rental investment (otherwise I would have bought it and rented to him:)) However, this is the lowest priced (for its age) condo in Port Moody and would be the most affordable purchase on the market as well it suits his lifestyle.

4. Is the mortgage payment + strata fees + taxes (and insurance and other applicable costs associated with the unit....aside from the utilities of course) higher than the current rent and can your friend afford the potential increase? Yes the costs of ownership are higher than the current rent and yes he can afford the total monthly cost.

If your friend REALLY wants to stay in the property and plans on living there for 5 yrs minimum AND property makes sense as a revenue property and the sellers are willing to finance him...then why not? That`s what I thought

You could do what is called an Agreement for Sale (AFS) that would stipulate what your payments are to the seller, what the final sales price is at the end of the term as well as the duration of the term they are willing to finance the property for. There is a legal document for these tyes of transactions and I believe it is available in the downloads section of this website.I think this is what I was thinking of... That makes sense. Thank you again for your quick advice!

These are just things for your friend to think about. 5 years is a long time to commit to a property just b/c he doesn`t want to move!! It has to make business sense...

Good luck,

Lucas

vandriani

REIN Member
You mentioned that your friend has no down payment. Typically, the owner (like a bank) wants to see that you have some skin in the game. This may be a deal breaker but if he can negotiate the deal without a down payment, all the power to him. seems like a win/win.

Don`t you just love REIN for this. i would have never discovered such a strategy on my own

invst4profit

Registered
Based on the information you have given on your friend, bad credit, no savings etc. I would strongly suggest you advise your friend to start looking for another place to rent.
The likelihood of the seller agreeing to taking a huge risk with this person is dwarfed by the fact that your friend will likely not be in a position to purchase in 5 years.

If it requires your input to motivate this person to buy he is not in a place in his life to take action.

Top Bottom