Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Capital Cost Allowance

surfermoe

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ May 24 2009, 01:28 PM) Hi Moe;
In layman`s language... and I certainly fall into that category when it comes to taxes... if you own the properties in your own names, you take the income derived from those properties into your own income, using whatever the form # is to report that income in your own return.

As an individual investment property owner, you can use CCA from each property to write the income of that
property down to zero, but no farther. In other words, you cannot use CCA to create a loss for use on income from other sources. At some point, the amount of deductible CCA will not be sufficient to reduce income to zero, and you will begin paying income tax on the net income after CCA.

When you sell the property you will have to recapture the CCA which was previously claimed. That recaptured CCA will be added to your income for the year in which the sale took place.

Oh, one other point, in the first year of ownership you may only claim 1/2 of the normal CCA. Whether you close on January 1 or December 31, you can only use 1/2 of the normal CCA for that year, assuming there would be income to deduct it from. Buyers who are tax conscious will often postpone a purchase to the second half of the year for that reason. (I am not suggesting that is a good reason for buying in the second half. It does happen, though.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information, Dan - very helpful.

It does contradict what I`ve been told about attributing real estate expenses to personal (i.e. salaried) income, though. I`ve been told that it`s possible to reduce job income with investment properties. (I believe they were referring to deducting property expenses from job income.)

Have I been misled?

Moe

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (surfermoe @ May 24 2009, 04:46 PM) It does contradict what I`ve been told about attributing real estate expenses to personal (i.e. salaried) income, though. I`ve been told that it`s possible to reduce job income with investment properties. (I believe they were referring to deducting property expenses from job income.)
You canNOT use CCA to reduce personal income .. just bring property income to 0 !

You can however claim a loss if the expenses exceed all net income .. expense would be: mortgage interest, utilities, management fees by property manager, condo fees, taxes, reasonable travel expenses to and from property for you ..

Nicola

Registered
Say I need to use CCA to bring my income down to zero, but I don`t need to use it for all of my properties, just one or two.

Does it make sense to use the CCA on a property that has not increased in value (or has decreased), since there is less capital gain to worry about, rather than a property that has significantly increased in value? Or does it make any difference, since the CCA is added back to income?

Thanks.

Top Bottom