Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cash on Cash Return Rate?

tnguyen

Registered
I`m wondering what is the expected Cash on Cash Return rate that most investors satisfy with: Min rate=?
Also, how about a capitalization rate? Min rate=?
Do most investors focus on Cash-on-Cash return rate or Pre-sale ROI or Post-sale ROI?
What is the minimum ROI rate required?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (tninvestor @ Apr 3 2010, 05:21 PM)

What is the minimum ROI rate required?

ROI:

above 0 .. preferrable double digit POSITIVE ROI .. or triple digit in 4-6 years ..

The issue is that you do not know the true ROI until you sell .. usually many years later !

CAP rate:

over 4% in big cities like Vancouver, Calgary, LA, Toronto, Singapore, Munich, London ..

over 6% in 2nd tier cities like: Edmonton, Kelowna, London (ON), Halifax, Red Deer, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Edinborough, Dublin, ...

over 7.5% in other towns/city ..

A longer analysis on equity growth is in my blog in October 2009 'Equity Gain is not the only way to make money"

tnguyen

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Apr 3 2010, 08:31 PM) ROI:

above 0 .. preferrable double digit POSITIVE ROI .. or triple digit in 4-6 years ..

The issue is that you do not know the true ROI until you sell .. usually many years later !

CAP rate:

over 4% in big cities like Vancouver, Calgary, LA, Toronto, Singapore, Munich, London ..

over 6% in 2nd tier cities like: Edmonton, Kelowna, London (ON), Halifax, Red Deer, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Edinborough, Dublin, ...

over 7.5% in other towns/city ..

Thank you, Thomas. It`s very helpful info.
How about Cash-on-Cash Return rate? What is the minimum rate? Are most REIN Grads based on "Cash-0n-Cash return rate" to purchase the property?

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (tninvestor @ Apr 4 2010, 12:36 AM)
Thank you, Thomas. It's very helpful info.

How about Cash-on-Cash Return rate? What is the minimum rate? Are most REIN Grads based on "Cash-0n-Cash return rate" to purchase the property?

Check out my posting on: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-16161-Comparing_apples_and_oranges.html=

It discusses real estate returns in more detail.

Cash-on-Cash return is basically Annual Cashflow (hopefully positive)/your down payment or cash invested in a property.

This may give you an impression as to how you are doing compared to money market fund returns or GICs or dividends on stock.

It is a pretty volatile number that is a function of LTV, the cost efficiency of your rental management, market rents and property value. With Cap Rates of 3 to 4% in cities such as Calgary, getting cash-on-cash returns of 1 or 2% is pretty good for newly acquired properties. In other markets that may be considered a horrible return.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (tninvestor @ Apr 4 2010, 12:36 AM) Thank you, Thomas. It`s very helpful info.
0 is a great start .. as you will come out ahead in time. Higher is better, of course !

It also depends what expenses are used. Many properties require ongoing upgrades that improve value and achieve higher rents but lower the initial cash-on-cash ROI.

I think you ask the wrong question. The better question is:
I have X $s to invest and Y amount of time per month. What is the best property class / area I should buy ? i.e. 4 townhouses or one acreage or a 8-plex or a suited up/down bungalow !

tnguyen

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Apr 5 2010, 10:25 PM) 0 is a great start .. as you will come out ahead in time. Higher is better, of course !

It also depends what expenses are used. Many properties require ongoing upgrades that improve value and achieve higher rents but lower the initial cash-on-cash ROI.

I think you ask the wrong question. The better question is:
I have X $s to invest and Y amount of time per month. What is the best property class / area I should buy ? i.e. 4 townhouses or one acreage or a 8-plex or a suited up/down bungalow !

Your questions lead me to many other answers, thanks Thomas.
Anyway, most of the investors are expecting that the higher the Cash-on-cash return the better. Thus, most investors set their minimum cash-on-cash return rate before they invested, of course 1% or higher is better than 0%. Mr. Wasser`s answers are more direct to my questions. Thank you everyone

julieCEO

Registered
Well i focus on profit rather than ratio. If you invest then don`t worry about ROI. Just care that you should not go in loss. Then all is well. It is great if you are earning some thing.

Rickson9

Registered
Profit is nice. But a return is just as important. It`s great to make $1 a month in profit, but if I invested $1000, that 0.1% return isn`t very appealing.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Julie
I`d be happy to offer to borrow money from you with offering you a guaranteed profit!
From your last post I trust this works for you regardless of rate?
Lets get something together, please email me!
Thanks

QUOTE (julieCEO @ Apr 10 2010, 12:16 PM) Well i focus on profit rather than ratio. If you invest then don`t worry about ROI. Just care that you should not go in loss. Then all is well. It is great if you are earning some thing.

ChrisDavies

Registered
I find people quite like the 10% number. Simple, gets into double digits without seeming insane/risky.

Top Bottom