Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cashflow is Possible!

invst4profit

Registered
Mitch

Personally I have removed my investments from the residential home/apartment rental property business over the last few years.
No more buildings for me I only rent out the land now.
However when I was buying I was extremely selective in the choice of properties after I had cut my teeth on what in my younger years were very poor investments.
Number one rule was never buy new. Too competitive with home buyers and no room to negotiate. For me the most exciting and challenging part of investing was the negotiations involved in buying. Older buildings always had a better return when you factor repair and rehab costs into the negotiation process.

What I eventually followed was a formula for purchasing properties closely resembled the 50% rule.
I learned every property over time would eventually eat up 50% of your income, on average, in expenses as part of a larger portfolio. That includes every conceivable expense you can imagine. All the things from taxes right on down to the paper clip on the tenants file. Everything that every mom and pop investor always neglect to consider as expenses.
50% it turned out was a valid number as a ballpark average that most old school (and some new) investors will attest to over extended time when holding numerous properties.
From the remainder of the income I subtract my debt servicing based on 100% financing at the prevailing interest rate. I always pay myself first.

Over time the interest rate determined whether I held or sold properties. I never forced what I considered "Artificial Cash Flow" by paying down a mortgage. I did however refinance at times to supplement positive cash flow on properties.
Beyond refinancing I never considered appreciation when purchasing properties. They stood alone on there own merit cash flow wise from day one or they were a bad buy.
I viewed appreciation as speculation and that had no place in my business plan. It may be fine as part of a sales pitch but did not fit my income property investment strategy.
My minimum cash flow target was always $100/door/ month from day one. That was always enough considering cash flow increased every year after that. However many were far greater than that.
Once I adopted this investment philosophy I always made money on every investment regardless of the economy. Real estate investments at least as it seems I spent or lost as much on everything else I did.

I am highly skeptical of any other investors numbers that do not follow these rules if they in fact hold multiple properties and expect to do so over extended periods of time. Keeping in mind I am small time and have no interest in numbers that multi million dollar investors may throw around.

But that`s just me, I`m old, I`m tired, I have been through the mill more than a few times and I do not buy into anything that sounds too good to be true when it comes to making money.. or anything else for that matter.

This system works, these properties do exist always will exist, but they are not for arm chair investors.

Wow that`s way too long for anyone to waste there time reading.

MKBridge

REIN Member
"I have often been reminded that with REIN you do not account for interest on the down payment. Many investors simply expect to make the money at time of sale but as everyone knows you can not count what you do not have.
From my business perspective I find this aspect of the REIN system extremely odd. "

When I went to the ACRE program in March, part of the analysis for cash flow was to include the interest payment if you are using a line of credit for the down payment. I do this with my properties and the cash flow is whats left over after accounting for all payments and contigency funds. You could do the same for interest on the down payment.

Kathi

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jul 15 2009, 06:04 PM) Mitch

Personally I have removed my investments from the residential home/apartment rental property business over the last few years.
No more buildings for me I only rent out the land now.
However when I was buying I was extremely selective in the choice of properties after I had cut my teeth on what in my younger years were very poor investments.
Number one rule was never buy new.

I somewhat agree with this one. For example - I bought 4 brand new duplexes in a totally new subdivision in FSJ last year. I was the first guy to get involved with the development and purchased all 4 before they were even framed. The price I got on them last year is about $20,000 less per unit than what someone going into the development now would pay...all because the developer needed to sell a few units to get his income started. And this was in a completely flat market...and I didn`t have to spend thousands on renos for 25K forced appreciation. I just negotiated from the beginning with the developer, got my strong cash flowing properties and ended up with a nice appreciation growth after year 1.

But normally I also like older FSBO homes...it`s what I specialize in as well.

Too competitive with home buyers and no room to negotiate. "Not always the case" For me the most exciting and challenging part of investing was the negotiations involved in buying. Older buildings always had a better return when you factor repair and rehab costs into the negotiation process. Be careful with the word `always` Greg..

What I eventually followed was a formula for purchasing properties closely resembled the 50% rule.
I learned every property over time would eventually eat up 50% of your income, on average, in expenses as part of a larger portfolio. That includes every conceivable expense you can imagine. All the things from taxes right on down to the paper clip on the tenants file. Everything that every mom and pop investor always neglect to consider as expenses.
50% it turned out was a valid number as a ballpark average that most old school (and some new) investors will attest to over extended time when holding numerous properties.

From the remainder of the income I subtract my debt servicing based on 100% financing at the prevailing interest rate. I always pay myself first.

Okay - but what are you doing to spend 50% of a property`s income before debt servicing? I just don`t understand that as I own a bunch of properties, mostly older properties as well - but maintained very well and I rarely have costs like that. If I do, I will pay for it from the reserve fund and then allocate to repay that fund over a certain period of time - just to help normalize cash flows.

Over time the interest rate determined whether I held or sold properties. I never forced what I considered "Artificial Cash Flow" by paying down a mortgage. I did however refinance at times to supplement positive cash flow on properties.
Beyond refinancing I never considered appreciation when purchasing properties. They stood alone on there own merit cash flow wise from day one or they were a bad buy.
I viewed appreciation as speculation and that had no place in my business plan. It may be fine as part of a sales pitch but did not fit my income property investment strategy.
My minimum cash flow target was always $100/door/ month from day one. That was always enough considering cash flow increased every year after that. However many were far greater than that.
Once I adopted this investment philosophy I always made money on every investment regardless of the economy. Real estate investments at least as it seems I spent or lost as much on everything else I did.

I am highly skeptical of any other investors numbers that do not follow these rules if they in fact hold multiple properties and expect to do so over extended periods of time. Keeping in mind I am small time and have no interest in numbers that multi million dollar investors may throw around.

But that`s just me, I`m old, I`m tired, I have been through the mill more than a few times and I do not buy into anything that sounds too good to be true when it comes to making money.. or anything else for that matter.

This system works, these properties do exist always will exist, but they are not for arm chair investors.

What types of properties do you buy? Would you throw some examples out here so I can look at your numbers - just curious.

Wow that`s way too long for anyone to waste there time reading.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (rabrol @ Jul 15 2009, 11:41 AM) ...

Secondly, are there certain property types that lend themselves more to cashflowing with these criteria within the Edmonton area, or do I need to be looking further afield? ..
Edmonton works with a sharp purchase .. and we`re seeing deals now again after 2 year of not buying in the Edmonton area due to excessive prices .. high 70`s/door was our last purchase summer 2007 and we`re writing offers in that range again (those used to be 110 - 130`s /door ..) often better in SK or BC .. or smaller towns

Our recent purchases here: http://prestprop.com/opportunities.html

amurthy

Living the Idea of Increase
Registered
Enlightening.
Thank you for the discourse!

A small case ...
If you`d paid, say 400K to purchase a property that was bringing a rent of 3K per month; and (other things remaining constant) lets say that and by spending another 50K, you could get the rent to climb to 4.5K per month; would you consider such expenditure worthwhile?

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (anandam @ Jul 16 2009, 04:37 PM) Enlightening.
Thank you for the discourse!

A small case ...
If you`d paid, say 400K to purchase a property that was bringing a rent of 3K per month; and (other things remaining constant) lets say that and by spending another 50K, you could get the rent to climb to 4.5K per month; would you consider such expenditure worthwhile?

Multi-Residential?
... I would only consider buying it if it would be PLUS Utilities or you can increase rent. What is the door/price and where is it located?

Invest4Profit said once and I like the approach: 1% of purchase price should be minimum monthly rent! This is the first thing I check. Can I get to minimum 1% soon? After that I go into deeper research.

Family home?

I doubt that you could get 4,500$/month rent.

amurthy

Living the Idea of Increase
Registered
Multi-res w. 3 doors @ 133K/ door in Toronto.

As things stand, the current rental income @ 1K (incl. util) is below market rates for units in the current state (market rate = 1.2K w. utilities)

Therefore, at the time of purchase, the monthly return is 0.75% or lesser (w/o util)

My research tells me shown that well-appointed units will fetch 1.45K + util or approx 1.6K incl.

To upgrade the units will cost 50K.

Would you consider doing it (the upgrade)?

NorthernAlex

Registered
I would consider it and run detailed numbers. Would the value of the house increase after the upgrade to have a potential higher sell price later on?

Download the 30 day trial version of REMA and you can use the Property Analyzer, which is a great tool.

Increasing rent with existing tenants might become difficult in Ontario.
Vacant occupancy possible or getting building permits of each unit to give notice to the current tenants? Can you handle some vacant months until reno is done?.. aso.

invst4profit

Registered
I personally would not be interested in this property.
First utilities included is way too risky. I would never own a property utilities included in this province in this day and age. Tenants could care less about anything they do not pay for and cost, tax increases etc are unpredictable. Tenant must pay or no way I invest.

Being below market rent is a problem in Ontario. Very difficult to get rid of tenants although vacant occupancy is a option. Problem is market rent is still too low based on purchase price.
As far as reno to increase value there are a number of points to consider. First present tenant has right of first refusal. If they chose the can return to the unit after upgrades at the original rent. Second you always have cost over runs and lost income to consider. Third and most importantly appointment or cosmetic upgrades to increase rents is very risky. A waste of money and time to me.
I would only reno to increase rent if it was adding rooms or complete units.

NorthernAlex

Registered
It comes down how the $50k will be spend. 15k per door is quite something if you spend it wisely.

Anandam: Like Greg mentioned: Getting the low rent tenant is quite an issue and could cost you really money, so from this you should try to buy it vacant. Think of using these 50k for separate meter and not too much make up.

What was your plan with the 50k? Make up, new kitchens bathrooms aso or structural work (individual hydro, water ...)?

ChrisDavies

Registered
One thing to consider in the discussion that`s a step higher level than cashflow calculations is risk.

For example, Thomas will attest to the fact that insufficient or ineffective property management will quickly cause costs to inflate. I personally think the property management and marketing is the strongest aspect of my skill set, and my team also has a very experienced reno staff, so I feel positive about our ability to estimate deferred maintence. We`re also not always applying the same assumptions to every property. In some cases I`m looping back to properties which I`ve dealt with in the past, so I have a very good idea about the maintence profile of the property.

gwasser

Registered
I bought this property in Edmonton 5 years ago. It had positive cashflow. I inhereted the renters, they were a bit strange. Ah well, I thought as long as they pay the rent on time and the rental manager is willing to deal with them all is fine. Last month the Rental Manager evicted the renters after their 12 year tenancy. The place was caput! Renovation bill 20K out of my pocket please!

This is the problem with just looking at cashflow. Your profits are gone in a second. That is why I look different at casflow and investing in real estate than e.g. invest4profit who gave an excellent review of how he views cashflow. Very valuable, and next time I buy, I`ll consider his views. But when all is said and done, what counts is your TOTAL profit. Appreciation AND cashflow.

For me, cashflow is just a measurement to ensure I can hold on to a property for ever and that I only will sell on my terms (I hope). Cashflow determines whether I have to subsisidize the place or not - so yes I play around with down payment and leverage and rental income and vacancy rates and normal maintenance until I have `positive cashflow`.
Once this hurdle has been met, I look at my total potential return of investment, including long term appreciation. I play around with the numbers especially leverage and assuming an annual rate of appreciation of 6% for Calgary and with whether I want to cashflow or only appreciate. If I achieve the appropriate TOAL rate of return I buy and I know I can hold on for the long haul.

After that, I throw my numbers away and look at the real performance of the place. If it kind of works, I`ll keep it. If it doesn`t I sell it or try to work out the problems (if possible). Reality is that numbers and analyses go only so far... it is not much more than a comparison of various investment opportunities.

The Edmonton porperty? yes it was a lot 20K... but, it had doubled in value in the `Tiger Wood` years so overall, I am still doing well. Just a rough spot... I hope!

rabrol

Registered
Sounds good you guys. Any more real world examples in the Prairies?

What minimum cashflow do you look for?

JoeRagona

Registered
Cash flow begins with your first filter of the property.

In my case, I begin with a simplified spreadsheet of REIN`s Cash Flow zone (which I uploaded for members but cannot for some reason insert the link here) and then move onto REMA and a couple other spreasheets for comparison. Many times, my ACTUAL cash flow is higher than forcasted because I use very conservative numbers from the beginning.

Like Thomas suggested, use stress levels when analyzing.

One thing to consider is the paper numbers. Vacancy, and On-going Maintenance. For me, I have always factored 3 months worth of operating costs from day one and that money sits in the bank account. The Vacancy rate I use is always doubled from the actual posted rate and on-going maintenance is still held in the account.

So for argument sake, if I have $100 for both vacancy and maintenance, that`s $2,400 that is actual `cash-flow` put in the account each year providing it`s rented.

If there IS maintenance issues, I have the initial $3,500 or so sitting there to use up first before touching the actual `built-up` maintenance.

That`s basically how I roll with my investment capital. Does that sound right?

RedlineBrett

Registered
The "what is cash flow" question has come up numerous times in numerous different threads. Really all it does is draw a line between two different investor types.

Conservative investor vs. entrepreneurial investor

All depends on what type of person you are and where you are in the investment life cycle. I would do 90% of the deals I see on these forums. Does the rent cover the mortgage, insurance and taxes with an 8% vacancy? It does? snap it up and notch the belt. hold on until the market carries me and/or I pay it off. Find a new investor. Lather rinse repeat all the way to diamond status.

If you spend all your hours looking for a 1% property (1/100 = rent/purchase price) then you will have a very small albeit ironclad portfolio. For someone that has met their life`s ambitions and just needs to tread water until they die this is probably the way to go.

For someone that wants to be rich... live the life... you simply cannot accomplish this without a lot of assets going the right way. You have to take risks and that will mean thinner deals with more volume.

You can`t be wrong regardless of the path you choose. It`s like telling someone they`re wrong about their favorite color. Each investor has their own comfort level and only they can decide what "cashflow" is.

rabrol

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Jul 20 2009, 12:25 PM) You can`t be wrong regardless of the path you choose. It`s like telling someone they`re wrong about their favorite color. Each investor has their own comfort level and only they can decide what "cashflow" is.

So do you have any examples to share with us on a deal you`ve done this year?
Anyone else...lets see some actual figures!

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (rabrol @ Jul 20 2009, 06:19 PM) So do you have any examples to share with us on a deal you`ve done this year?
Anyone else...lets see some actual figures!

Closed April 1, 2009
Purchase price of 352,500 (12,500 over list price by the way)
10% down
3.99% fixed for five years
35 year amortization
$6500 in cosmetic touch-ups to the upper

Has zoning for a basement suite.
Will be less than 500m to the westbrook mall C-train station when it opens
Site is being considered for rezoning to light commercial

PIT of 1658

Rents for 1200 up, 900 down. Tenants pay all utilities.

we inherited the tenant below and he found me tenants for the upper after we cleaned it up. Tenant in the basement keeps the property in good shape in exchange for use of the single detached garage.

Currently cash flows us $440/month every month we have it rented.

Somewhat loosely shopping for a partner on this deal if anyone is interested

rabrol

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Jul 21 2009, 11:37 AM) Closed April 1, 2009
Purchase price of 352,500 (12,500 over list price by the way)
10% down
3.99% fixed for five years
35 year amortization
$6500 in cosmetic touch-ups to the upper

Has zoning for a basement suite.
Will be less than 500m to the westbrook mall C-train station when it opens
Site is being considered for rezoning to light commercial

PIT of 1658

Rents for 1200 up, 900 down. Tenants pay all utilities.

we inherited the tenant below and he found me tenants for the upper after we cleaned it up. Tenant in the basement keeps the property in good shape in exchange for use of the single detached garage.

Currently cash flows us $440/month every month we have it rented.

Somewhat loosely shopping for a partner on this deal if anyone is interested

Sounds good, thanks for the numbers - that really helps!
Did you view the potential rezoning as a positive or negative thing?

Anyone else who can volunteer some numbers and show me the kind of deals there are to be had out there?

invst4profit

Registered
rabaul:

Keep in mind that when Brett states that he has a cash flow of $440 this number, I believe, reflects $0 dollars for any expenses beyond taxes.

He states that is his present cash flow (month one).

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jul 22 2009, 06:34 AM) rabaul:

Keep in mind that when Brett states that he has a cash flow of $440 this number, I believe, reflects $0 dollars for any expenses beyond taxes.

He states that is his present cash flow (month one).

Um not exactly. I have $440/mo saved up until I hit an expense. If I go twelve months then get hit with $5280 in maintenance/repairs then my cash flow would be zero. Until then I am making $440 a month. Will have some good years and some bad years when big ticket items need addressing.... but as you and I have demonstrated before we differ in that I factor in principle paydown and capital appreciation for the larger expense items while you force your investments to deal with all expenses out of cash flow only.

QUOTE Sounds good, thanks for the numbers - that really helps!
Did you view the potential rezoning as a positive or negative thing?

I definitely viewed the rezoning as a positive thing. More options on exit! Perhaps a developer wants my land or I can convert the house to a small office.

Top Bottom