Changing Utilities into tenants name(s)

SherryYvonne

Registered
Hi there,

I`m looking at a 4 plex that has 4 hydro meteres, but the current owner chooses to include the hydro in the rent (this is in BC, lower mainland).

Anyway, I gather it`s not as simple as walking in, buying the place and telling all the tenants the utilities are now extra since they haven`t been doing that previously...

I`m still trying to get info about whether they are on a month to month agreement or an annual lease agreement (does that matter?).

Anyway, my question is, how would I go about changing from the current situation (landlord pays utilities) to situation where I want the tenants to pay the utilities (on top of their current monthly rent).

Thanks in advance,
Sherry

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (SherryYvonne @ May 25 2009, 05:09 PM) Anyway, my question is, how would I go about changing from the current situation (landlord pays utilities) to situation where I want the tenants to pay the utilities (on top of their current monthly rent).
you can`t force them .. but you could persuade them .. such as:
a) if you sign this agreement I will buy you a new fridge, or
b) if you sign it I will not increase your rent for 3 years

You can change it with a new tenant (before he move sin, i.e. it is part of the new lease)

vandriani

REIN Member
You can also place a condition on the sale that the property would be tenant free upon closing. when you bring in the new tenants, you can include utilities.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (vandriani @ May 26 2009, 08:37 AM) You can also place a condition on the sale that the property would be tenant free upon closing. when you bring in the new tenants, you can include utilities.
actually, you canNOT realistically do that ! You can ask .. but then you might as well not buy it ! As the current owner, you cannot evict tenants just because the property is being sold in BC !

You can ask people to leave because
a) they didn`t pay rent, or
b) because you wish to renovate the place, or
c) you move in yourself

SherryYvonne

Registered
So if we`re planning to renovate (the bathrooms need to be ripped out and redone - not sure to what extent yet, but there is water damage in the walls surrounding the tub), would that satisfy the `renovation` clause? My husband and I are strongly considering putting in an offer deducting a fair amount of money based on the renovations we think need to be done.

Thanks for replying and sorry I didn`t read sooner. I do payroll for a municipality and it was the week from hell!

Sherry