Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

City of Barrie Proposes Crazy By-Law Limiting Number of Tenants in Houses to 4 persons

egonneau

REIN Member
Fellow Investors:

On November 19 and 26 the City of Barrie will be voting on enacting new by-laws which will limit the number of tenants in a dwelling unit to 4. Should you have more than 4 tenants you will automatically become a Boarding, Lodging, Rooming House under this new by-law which will require you to have a license, be submitted to annual inspections, and be located no closer than 75 metres to any other Boarding Lodging or Rooming House.

Similarly should you have a tenanted dwelling and there is a tenant-occupied room with an external locking device that prevents access to the room by the other house occupants - then presto you are also considered a Boarding Lodging, Rooming House.

Should you be unlucky enough to be considered a Boarding, Lodging, Rooming House, not only will you have the licensing / inspection aspect to worry about, but you will also need to upgrade your unit to include emergency lights, exit signs, smoke detectors in every bedroom, dedicated corridors from the bedroom to the exterior, no forced air heating or cooling and many other upgrades in the Building Code.

CALL/EMAIL/WRITE YOUR COUNCILLOR TODAY TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE - LET`S STOP THE PASSAGE OF THIS BY-LAW

The Link below will give you the contact Info for the Councilors of Barrie:

City of Barrie - Council Contact Info

http://www.barrie.ca/Content.cfm?C=2966&am...1554&L1M=37

Call the City Clerk`s Office as well 705-739-4204

For those who want all the details refer to Staff Report PLN048-07 on the City of Barrie`s Website. www.city.barrie.on.ca - Go to City Hall Section; Agenda`s & Minutes; November 12; General Committee; Scroll Down to the Header Boarding, Lodging and Rooming House; click on the header and the full report will appear.

Eric Gonneau
(Gold REIN member and Barrie RE Investor)

PS - Consider the following situations to see if the by-law makes sense.

A) Mom, Dad and two kids are renting a house from you. They tell you mom is expecting. This will make them a family of 5 when the baby is born. They now can only be tenants in a boarding, lodging, rooming house!?!

B) Single Mom with two kids rents a house from you. She decides to take in a sublet and rents out one of the bedrooms. The sublet wishes to place a lock on their door. No can do - will become a BLR house.

C) Mom, Dad and two teenage kids are renting a house from you. Their oldest child wants to return home from school and live with them over the summer. No can do - they will become a BLR house.

D) Under the building code a house is designed to have 2 occupants per bedroom. Thus a 6 person family can own and live in a 3 bedroom house, but they can not rent and live in the exact same 3 bedroom house. They would be classified as a BLR house.

PSS - CALL WRITE OR EMAIL YOUR COUNCILOR TODAY to stop the passage of this by-law - Call: 705-739-4204 or Write: City of Barrie, P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON L4M 4T5 or send an email: City of Barrie

invest

Registered
Hi Eric

I have a rental property in waterloo paid $188,000 detached raised bungalow close to high tech park. My son was going to Laurier and was renting across the road. We bought the house for my son and three friends to live in and keep renting out after he moved out. Did not know till after the purchase that Waterloo has a lodging license bylaw. Their bylaw states you can only have three, four or more is considered a lodging house. We are right accross the road from a licensed house so I will not be able to get a license because of the 75 metre rule. You can have a family live in your home because they are related, the lodging bylaw refers to people that are unrelated. If you are renting to 4 students you should still have some cashflow. In Waterloo when you can only rent to three without a license there is no positive cashflow depending on the mortgage. Needless to say I was quite upset when I found out after the purchase. I don`t think it was a bad investment considering what I paid and the fact that area is set to boom.

Invester in Waterloo

Top Bottom