Common area smells like marijuana.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
I had one of my tenants call me tonight and complain about a strong smell of marijuana in the common area. She tells me that the smell has been prevalent for some time and is now getting stronger and is becoming a problem as she`s beginning to smell it in the suite.

I`ve never noticed the smell myself whenever I visit the building but my sense of smell is horrific. The tenant is very good and I don`t think she`s making this up.

I`m at a loss as how to deal with the problem. My first thought is to complain to the condo board but I`m not sure what I expect them to do. It doesn`t seem reasonable to expect them to go door to door and try to catch someone in the act. My next idea was to call the police but again, I don`t know what I`d expect the outcome to be.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance.

mortgageman

Registered
If it`s an old stale odour, rather than someone smoking recently, call REIN member Mike Sunley at Odorzap. His number is 780.919.9494. Check out odorzap.ca
He`ll bust that stink.

housedoc

Registered
I`m curious as to whether the issue is marijuana, or simply smoke? ie. is it a non-smoking complex?
What if it`s medicinal?

HeatherBrandt

Registered
I suggest forwarding the complaint to the condo board so they are aware. A cheap solution could be a sign posted "this area is monitored".

We had an up/down suite where this complaint arose. It was non-smoking, but since we could access the common area without giving notice, we had the complaining tenant give us a call and we went and stood in the common area (a great use of our time, I know!) After knocking on their door, they tried to play the medicinal use card, but weren`t aware they were dealing with a pharmacist. It led to a messy eviction (others reasons as well). The option to call the police is certainly reasonable, hopefully your tenant would have some idea where the smell is coming from.

As for the medicinal use question, here`s some facts from Health Canada : (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/index-eng.php)

-The person must apply (along with an authorized physician), process looks more involved than getting a passport. Must indicate reason for use (disease state) and symptoms applicant is looking to ease.

-Approved application good for 12 months, then must reapply.

-If you are going to grow your own, you must have written approval from the property owner, form on website.

-As of June 2008, there were 2812 people in Canada approved for medical marijuana use, 215 of these people reside in Alberta. (check out "Stakeholder Statistics for other provinces).

The summary is that these patients will be able to provide a lot of detail about their condition, usage, supply and will be able to provide appropriate paperwork from the government (ie-"I have a doctor`s note" doesn`t cut it).

Good luck!

Heather

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housedoc @ Mar 3 2009, 05:20 AM) I`m curious as to whether the issue is marijuana, or simply smoke? ie. is it a non-smoking complex?
What if it`s medicinal?
indeed .. smoking pot is not illegal to my knowledge .. just the dealing ..

there maybe a condo by-law that mentions "non disturbance of neighbors" .. or "odour" .. so phone the condo board president or the management firm and ask them to look into it ..

klewlis

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 3 2009, 03:41 PM) indeed .. smoking pot is not illegal to my knowledge .. just the dealing ..

there maybe a condo by-law that mentions "non disturbance of neighbors" .. or "odour" .. so phone the condo board president or the management firm and ask them to look into it ..

possession is illegal.

Also, if it`s a non-smoking building then obviously that counts.

Chances are that the immediate neighbours know exactly which suite it is; it`s pretty obvious when you live next door to a user (as I do).

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:36 PM) is it ? what weight ?

I seem to be the same like in Germany- I was told from a former police officer:

Possession is illegal at any time (exception medical reasons), but until 5 grams it won`t be prosecuted.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (NorthernAlex @ Mar 3 2009, 05:56 PM) I seem to be the same like in Germany- I was told from a former police officer:

Possession is illegal at any time (exception medical reasons), but until 5 grams it won`t be prosecuted.
Ach so ...

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 3 2009, 08:00 PM) Ach so ...

The rules are purposely vague. If they legalize it`s usethen they are codoning it and it is almost as if they are saying it is "safe" when we all know there are some risks to it`s use.

It is not criminal to have under 5 grams, but it is still illegal and subject to a fine. This is good for police officers as it gives them the option to act or not. If, say an upstanding citizen was caught with a small amount they would likely send him on his way and dismiss it. If a dodgy fellow was caught with a small amount, the police would likely fine and use the opportunity to search for something else, such as guns or signs of other highly suspect activity.

Expect the rules to be vague for a long time. It`s the same for growing, I think it is not criminal to own one plant. I`m not 100% sure. I`ll probably find out on my retirement when I try to relive my youth and give pot a try <laugh>

I would ask the condo association to at the very least send out a letter to all the owners/tenants saying that the heavy smell has been interfeering with the pleasurable use of the units by some people. It mention that marijuana should not be smoked inside the building. Unless of course you live in BC, then the majority likely smokes...ha

Real

Lermy

REIN Member
It is illegal to grow pot if the intent is trafficing... 1, 2, maybe 3 plants would be ok?? I don`t know the yields but again, I think it comes down more to what type of person you are and the people surrounded by the pot. ie. if you have young kids playing around your plants, I could see the cops coming down harshly.