Compliance letter City of Hamilton

cooldennis

Registered
I was issued a bill today from the city of Hamilton. This bill was for a total of $550 for work being done at one of my properties in Hamilton. In this letter it states that I did not comply with the compliance letter that was previously issued. This bill was sent to the house in which I reside, so obviously the city is well aware of how to contact me, (the owner) of the rental property in question.

The compliance letter was never sent to me. I was not aware there was an issue. I admit I do not inspect the property as often as I should, but in the past I have never had a problem like this (dog crap in the back and long grass in the back) For the record I am an active landlord and do all repairs immediately when tenants ask. In this rental agreement the tenant was responsible for all property care. It is useless going after her because she is on OW and the OW office is not helpful at all. Regardless she does not have money to pay.

My question is, how can the city expect the owner of the property to comply to a compliance letter when they never issue the compliance letter to the owner. How is it justified to then bill the owner when they do not even contact the owner beforehand. Also if they are able to send the bill to my home address then it is obvious they know the house is a rental and are aware of how to contact me.

They sent the compliance letter to the tenant (who is no longer there ) and she did not comply. She did not tell me either. Really though, does the city of Hamilton expect the tenants to contact their landlord about such matters?

I realize I should have been doing regular inspections. But I also feel I should have been issued the compliance letter.

Any have any information?

Dennis

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
QUOTE (cooldennis @ Sep 23 2010, 11:38 AM) I was issued a bill today from the city of Hamilton. This bill was for a total of $550 for work being done at one of my properties in Hamilton. In this letter it states that I did not comply with the compliance letter that was previously issued. This bill was sent to the house in which I reside, so obviously the city is well aware of how to contact me, (the owner) of the rental property in question.

The compliance letter was never sent to me. I was not aware there was an issue. I admit I do not inspect the property as often as I should, but in the past I have never had a problem like this (dog crap in the back and long grass in the back) For the record I am an active landlord and do all repairs immediately when tenants ask. In this rental agreement the tenant was responsible for all property care. It is useless going after her because she is on OW and the OW office is not helpful at all. Regardless she does not have money to pay.

My question is, how can the city expect the owner of the property to comply to a compliance letter when they never issue the compliance letter to the owner. How is it justified to then bill the owner when they do not even contact the owner beforehand. Also if they are able to send the bill to my home address then it is obvious they know the house is a rental and are aware of how to contact me.

They sent the compliance letter to the tenant (who is no longer there ) and she did not comply. She did not tell me either. Really though, does the city of Hamilton expect the tenants to contact their landlord about such matters?

I realize I should have been doing regular inspections. But I also feel I should have been issued the compliance letter.

Any have any information?

Dennis

Yes, we see this issue in Barrie as well. This is why I always make it a point to do drivebys to make sure properties are kept clean and grass cut. According to this article: http://www.ancasternews.com/news/article/198837 they`re really cracking down on absentee landlords.

If you can`t fight this (since the work has already been done and technically it`s your responsibility) chalk this up to experience and put measures in place so this won`t happen again. I actually include in my lease that if tenants are in direct violation and a warning is issued, they`re financially responsible for it. Unfortunately like you said the tenant is no longer there. My BEST advice is talk to someone in the department, be nice and just tell them the situation. Perhaps they`ll be able to do something, perhaps not. Important to "get an in" in the department and show you`re friendly and not the type to be non-compliant. Ask what their procedure is and ask that they note in their records that any issues of this nature be faxed to you personally or sent to your preferred mailing address so you can be on top of it right away. In most instances you only have 24 hours to comply. If they see you`re co-operative, maybe this will help. When things go un-answered then this is when they seem to "play the heavy" and implement all these fines.

housedoc

Registered
The city of Hamilton had to clean dog**** and cut your grass?
And you`re whining about 550 bucks?
You neglected your property. Pay up!
And don`t rely on old ladies on disability to do your gruntwork.
You should be ashamed.

Good on the city of Hamilton.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Sep 24 2010, 05:34 AM) The city of Hamilton had to clean dog**** and cut your grass?
And you`re whining about 550 bucks?
You neglected your property. Pay up!
And don`t rely on old ladies on disability to do your gruntwork.
You should be ashamed.

Good on the city of Hamilton.

He`s not saying that. He`s asking why he didn`t get the letter.

markl

Registered
Could be different departments are you in collections at the city? They may have looked you up. I would ensure that the other department had your proper contact info.

I would also chalk this up to experience and I would inspect the property more often or hire somebody to do so.

Regards,