Comps

Sep 24, 2008
Hi can anyone suggest where one can find comps, if you are not a Realtor, ie if you don`t have access to the MLS backend?

Or any other info that realtors` have access to? Any good subscription services?

For instance in toronto/southern ontario?

Many thanks

JohnJ

Registered
Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
What you have to do is start building your team , which will include a realtor, and you will get comps from him/her. That is the course I have taken, but I am a "rookie" so other veteran investors might have other suggestions for you!
Hope that helps!

John

Sep 24, 2008
QUOTE (ShannonMurree @ Nov 27 2008, 05:44 PM) Agree with John. MLS systems in Canada are copyrighted so no one other than Realtor`s have access to that information. Joining with a good sales person doesn`t cost you anything and a good one should be on top of that for you and try to get info right away.

Thanks everyone. I know having your realtor provide you with comps is the typical way to go about it. But I mean sometimes there are just too many properties available that you would like to take a quick look at their comps, and the market moves fast so there isnt always time to request it from your realtor, and then wait for their reply.....

There must be some similar private services out there, I know there are some great ones for US properties..

ChrisDavies

Registered
Feb 18, 2008
Edmonton
QUOTE (princecharles @ Nov 27 2008, 03:27 PM) Thanks everyone. I know having your realtor provide you with comps is the typical way to go about it. But I mean sometimes there are just too many properties available that you would like to take a quick look at their comps, and the market moves fast so there isnt always time to request it from your realtor, and then wait for their reply.....

There must be some similar private services out there, I know there are some great ones for US properties..

Unfortunately, no. The system in Canada won`t sustain it, and the MLS has quite the hold. You can take one or two CMA`s and get an idea of what the market is doing, but there isn`t another option.

QUOTE (princecharles @ Nov 27 2008, 06:27 PM) Thanks everyone. I know having your realtor provide you with comps is the typical way to go about it. But I mean sometimes there are just too many properties available that you would like to take a quick look at their comps, and the market moves fast so there isnt always time to request it from your realtor, and then wait for their reply.....

The original one might be overwhelming yes and have a lot of properties. I can`t speak for anyone else but what I do for clients is All of the City, then we break it down by sub area. Then I do side-by-side with the photos/features, etc, then the other shows each page individually, actives, solds, etc.

When requested, depending on my scheduling I can usually get it out that night so they`ll have it by morning to analyze. If not, definitely by the next day and shouldn`t take any longer than that. So should be able to be on top of it okay no matter how the market is. Sales, typically won`t change in a day that dramatically.
style_emoticons

mcgregok

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 27 2008, 04:50 PM) Unfortunately, no. The system in Canada won`t sustain it, and the MLS has quite the hold. You can take one or two CMA`s and get an idea of what the market is doing, but there isn`t another option.

Saying Realtors have a hold on it like it is some kind of monoply is not the case. Realtors do a lot of hard work to get the listing information on their local board that shares it with the MLS. This work is done prior to getting paid. Realtors do not get paid for listing this information unless they sell the home. If there is no benifit for all their hard work gathering the information why would a local board bother to share with the MLS. In other words there would be no MLS. The MLS only works because Relators share. Prior to the MLS agents had to call each Real estate company seperately. I don`t think anybody wants to go back to that.