Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Considering starting my own handy man repair business in edmonton

askkingdean

Registered
I am pretty good at it , been doing it for alone time in between my real job. I am thinking of doing this full time as I seem to be getting more work. It would be great for out of town investors because I could be the one to come in and clean up, paint and repair and take pictures without you having to come to town. I have done 3 this summer so far, even did some shingling....painted, put in new carpets, lino, changes taps, toilets retextured the ceilings. Cut down trees and hauled them off in my trailer. Replace ceramic tile, so basically everything. I used to be a rein member and I have my own properties that I take of as well.

Or maybe someone owns an apartment that needs a handyman?

[email protected]

dean in edmonton

housingrental

Registered
Congratulations!

If I were you I would:

Get everything in writing prior to starting.

Take a portion of fees up front.

Any job that requires material material costs require payment prior to purchase.

Be prepared for potential for disputes on scope of work, quality of work, and people just unable to pay you without threats of, and in certain cases action on, litigation.

Familiarize yourself with your provincial law, contract law, and lien system.

Photo your jobs prior to, during, and after starting.

Incorporate.

Get insurance.

Get setup with quickbooks.

Maintain detailed records from the start including contracts, receipts, and photographs.

Do not take any cash jobs under any circumstances.

If you are not 100% sure on how to do a job, do not take it on.

moparcanuck

Registered
Just a note, in Alberta you can not take payment up front unless you are registered with some provincial program. I'm not sure of exact details, but I just know I've seen several news stories recently about contractors being charged under the Fair Trade Act (I believe) because they were not registered for taking payments up front on contractor jobs. Remember the Freeman on the Land nutcase in Calgary? That's how Alberta authorities arrested him, he was doing exactly that. Couple other cases in the news lately as well.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Some random thoughts:

• Having your own business is a great idea if, and only if you are able to deliver a quality product AND know how to market it AND know how to price it properly AND have enough cash to sustain an initial period of delayed income.
    • Your written English needs improvement. Marketing, i.e. communications to potential customers is critical. If your words are misspelled then I suspect your workmanship is poor, too - and that might not be the case.

• You need a website, a lawn sign, an entry in yellow pages, some GoogleAds, and some flyer that you can leave at homes in the area you wish to work in.

• You need to bill customers in a prompt manner, for example when you have done the job on the way out the door. It continues to amaze me how many tradespeople that do work in our buildings don't bill for weeks or even month, then call in desperation two days after they sent the invoice that they need money NOW, although most PMs are on a monthly, bi-weekly or twice-monthly billing cycle.

You need referrals from 3-5 customers.

You need to collect 50% of work upfront.

You need to know the laws governing trades, how to take payments, deposits, and how to lien properties as it may be required.

You need to be able to avoid customers that will screw you, as that is customarily done in some cultures. They will always find a way to not pay you, sue you or deduct unreasonable amounts. Try to learn those types and avoid them.

Top Bottom