Contractor Suggested Vinyl Flooring in Kitchen instead of Carpet

Nir

REIN Member
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto
Hi,
The property manager suggested vinyl flooring in the kitchen of a 1 bedroom apartment instead of current old carpet. I understand it is easier to clean and might look better however will it not be less warm in the apartment as a result if I replace it with vinyl flooring instead fo a new carpet? Also, carpet is around $2/sq ft including everything. what is an average simple vinyl flooring price per sq ft? The structure is a little unique - the apartment in question is a ground level basement.
I heard if floor is not lifted carpet is better for the reaosn mentioned above (heating) but not sure. how can I tell if it is lifted or not?
THANK YOU,
Neil

MonteDobson

Registered
Oct 7, 2007
Regina, SK
Hi Neil,

I am not a big fan of carpet anywhere in a rental home except for maybe the bedrooms. They are just not clean. Even though it may be cold being on ground level, I`d agree with that recommendation.

Another (more expensive) option may be a heat flooring system underneath tile. We have this in our home and it works great. Maybe a bit excessive for a rental though.

Ken15

Registered
Oct 29, 2008
Waterloo, ON
QUOTE (investmart @ Nov 14 2008, 10:42 AM) Hi,
The property manager suggested vinyl flooring in the kitchen of a 1 bedroom apartment instead of current old carpet. I understand it is easier to clean and might look better however will it not be less warm in the apartment as a result if I replace it with vinyl flooring instead fo a new carpet? Also, carpet is around $2/sq ft including everything. what is an average simple vinyl flooring price per sq ft? The structure is a little unique - the apartment in question is a ground level basement.
I heard if floor is not lifted carpet is better for the reaosn mentioned above (heating) but not sure. how can I tell if it is lifted or not?
THANK YOU,
Neil

I agree....vinyl or ceramics in a kitchen. The tenants can always put down floor mats to keep their feet warm. I`ve lived in my house for two years now and I can`t count how many times the kids have spilled grape juice or my wife has dropped a jar of tomato sauce all over the floor!

selias

Registered
Sep 26, 2007
Strathmore
One word...YUCK!
You will be replacing carpet frequently and this unit will be harder to rent out upon showings.
Imagine the disgusting mess a disgruntled tenant could leave in that area! Vinyl is a quick clean up.