Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cracks in a cement foundation!

Greatful

Registered
What do you fellow investors think of cracks in a cement foundation?
Is one or two minor cracks acceptable and just take the attitude that they can be fixed if minor enough and no big whoop, or do you take the stance of "not touching that with a 10 foot pole" type attitude no matter how big or small it is??

invst4profit

Registered
It would depend on how old the building is, size of cracks, whether there was resent construction in the area etc. Basically it boils down to whether they are static or growing.
New buildings with cracks are more worrisome to the extent that I would not buy new/newer with cracks.
Not necessarily something to run from but definitely a consideration when making an offer on older buildings.

cmattric

REIN Member
How wide are the cracks? Is it an apartment building or residential house? How many stories? These are important factors before you decide if it is feasible to repair.

For capillary cracks epoxy resin can be injected to save the footing. For wider cracks, special treatment would be necessary.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Probably run away unless its a screaming deal. Even then, I`d have an Engineer and Building Inspector do a very thorough check.

Greatful

Registered
Some great points guys....as usual.
It`s a 2 story(1 1/2 above ground.
I will definitely get a professional to look at this before pursuing this property any further.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom