Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crawl space insulate ?

dplummer

Registered
Generally speaking, it is better to prevent moisture intrusion into the crawl space ( moisture encapsulation). And if your going to insulate I`d only suggest spray foam insulation.

Doug

Nancy Dart

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 3 2008, 09:36 AM) Who pays for utilities? Owner or renter?

How does that matter ?

invst4profit

Registered
Assuming the space has a proper vapour barrier if the tenant is paying for utilities there is no reason for the owner to go to the added expense of insulating a crawl space. Owners savings would be zero. Renter would see minimal reduction in utilities.
Basically money spent for no return.

craigw

Registered
It is a great idea to insulate a crawl space. There is alot of heat loss through the ground if there is no insulation. Spray foam is an expensive solution and should only be used if there is some moisture in the crawl space. If the crawl space is dry use fibreglass or SM insulation and save yourself alot of money. Also if the space has a dirt floor I would recomend laying a poly ground sheat down to eliminate radon gas build up. Hope this helps.

Craig Williams

Nancy Dart

Registered
QUOTE (craigw @ Nov 4 2008, 11:21 AM) It is a great idea to insulate a crawl space. There is alot of heat loss through the ground if there is no insulation. Spray foam is an expensive solution and should only be used if there is some moisture in the crawl space. If the crawl space is dry use fibreglass or SM insulation and save yourself alot of money. Also if the space has a dirt floor I would recomend laying a poly ground sheat down to eliminate radon gas build up. Hope this helps.

Craig Williams

Craig,

is there any other things that I need to know about? What is the up side and down side of owning a crawl space, because I do not own one yet.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
It always a good idea to insulate basements and crawl spaces.
To help with the costs the Canadian government has created rebates for energy savings. If you live in Ontario You can get up to $1,600 in rebates for insulating a crawl space. You have to an energy audit performed at cost of approximately $350. The inspector will review with you how you can increase your properties energy savings. It can be many things from caulking some windows to replacing the furnace.
There are many other rebates you can qualify for.
http://www.homeenergyontario.ca/index.asp

gary

craigw

Registered
The downside to owning a house with a crawl space is you can never put a basement suite in to increase revenue. And as long as the crawlspace is dry, well insulated and the floor sealed with either poly or concrete there should be no problems. I think Gary made an excellent point on getting an energy audit done. You spend the money up front but you you get all or most of it back and you end up with an efficient house. If your house is more efficient than your tenants will be happier that their utility bills will be cheaper and you can sleep better knowing you have done your part to reduce your carbon footprint.

Craig Williams

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Energy audits and the resulting grants are fantastic!Check out the ecoenergy website at http://www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergy-ecoenergie/index-eng.cfmThis will give links to the possible retrofit rebates as well as qualified energy advisors (the only people who can perform the energy audit so that you get the grants).

And when you get the audit done, you get a book called "Keeping the Heat In" which discusses many ways to save energy and protect your investment (ie. against moisture damage, etc.). Here is a link to the book online http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/keep_heat_in/index.cfm

If you click on "Basement Insulation" and then "Crawl Spaces" you can get Ecoenergy`s opinion of your conundrum.

Regards,
Sherilynn

edlabine

Registered
I`m always a bit amazed when I hear other landlords saying that there is no need to do an improvement unless there is a ROI... Thanks to all who point out the need to reduce our carbon footprint, and treat our tenants like business partners. I just wanted to add - in a crawlspace, I would add a wire screen to prevent mice building nests in the insulation - been there, done that...Cheers all,
Ed

QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Nov 7 2008, 10:22 AM) Energy audits and the resulting grants are fantastic!

Check out the ecoenergy website at http://www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergy-ecoenergie/index-eng.cfm
This will give links to the possible retrofit rebates as well as qualified energy advisors (the only people who can perform the energy audit so that you get the grants).

And when you get the audit done, you get a book called "Keeping the Heat In" which discusses many ways to save energy and protect your investment (ie. against moisture damage, etc.). Here is a link to the book online http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/keep_heat_in/index.cfm

If you click on "Basement Insulation" and then "Crawl Spaces" you can get Ecoenergy`s opinion of your conundrum.

Regards,
Sherilynn

invst4profit

Registered
There are in my opinion plenty of necessary improvements that I would perform with no ROI. Insulating a crawl space that a tenant has been living with is not one of them. Now if the situation was such that a tenant was expressing a concern regarding that same space I would balance the cost to insulate against the tenants needs and my conscience.
I run a business and contribute to charities of my choice and as such view many non ROI improvements as charity for tenants. This is not in my business plan and in my opinion no tenant expects it.

As far as carbon footprint is concerned I do not make business decisions based on this latest environmental issue and am not embarrassed to admit it. To be honest I did not get on board with save the whale, save the seal, or save the ozone layer either. Not because I did not agree with them simply because I had more pressing issues and felt plenty of others could would and did embrace those causes as they chose.
What ever happened to those flavour of the decade causes.

I don`t buy the hype that every voice or every vote counts unless I am in a group of three.
As a side note my kids are on board with the carbon footprint agenda - that I will count as my contribution.

As a business person and landlord I am not comfortable considering my tenants as "partners".
I do not have and would not have these people as partners. Many are irresponsible, slow witted, reckless, unreliable and unfit as marriage partners let alone business partners (this is regardless of there social or economical status)..
They are customers.
No more no less as are all of us in almost every aspect of our lives.
I make every effort to provide a quality money making product and they decide to buy it or move along.
Overall my tenants appear to be happy with there purchase.

Whether I agree or disagree with anyone else`s business practices I respect there right to operate as they see fit within the confines of the law.

Top Bottom