Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Creating a Basement Apartment - Complete Recap!

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Well this was certainly a crazy year and I'm certainly glad to be on holidays! Here's the last project with a FULL RECAP! Enjoy, and subscribe if you like!

Ali2829

New Forum Member
Registered
That is great, Marty. How long did it take from start to finish. Where (city) are you?

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
That is great, Marty. How long did it take from start to finish. Where (city) are you?

This particular project took a little longer than usual because we were filming "Buyer's Bootcamp" with Scott McGillivray at the time that we began this renovation. So this one took about 3 month total, but there no reason why a renovation like this shouldn't be completed in about 8-10 weeks.

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
I just subscribed. The video "Creating a Basement Apartment. Part 6 of 11" shows adding sound proofing to the ceiling of a basement suite! Awesome!
Thank you, it's been tough finding the next property in the last few months. I'm sure we'll pick up the next one soon though. Keep watching!

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Thank you, it's been tough finding the next property in the last few months. I'm sure we'll pick up the next one soon though. Keep watching!

Orillia buddy!! There's one for 125k right up your Alley, it needs a lot of help though.

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Orillia buddy!! There's one for 125k right up your Alley, it needs a lot of help though.
Interesting, and I appreciate your looking out, although Orillia is out of my zone my friend! All of my investments are within 15 minutes of my house and within 5 minutes of Home Depot, and RONA. This allows me to renovate them easily, and quickly, while also managing them with ease after they are up and running. I'm in the Guelph/Kitchener area so I most certainly can't get a house for $125k, those days are over around here. Haha!

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Interesting, and I appreciate your looking out, although Orillia is out of my zone my friend! All of my investments are within 15 minutes of my house and within 5 minutes of Home Depot, and RONA. This allows me to renovate them easily, and quickly, while also managing them with ease after they are up and running. I'm in the Guelph/Kitchener area so I most certainly can't get a house for $125k, those days are over around here. Haha!

Marty how did you construct the ceiling, what kind of channels are you using and were you required to use 2 layers of drywall?

Marty Gordon

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
The ceiling has roxul insulation stuffed between the joists. Then the joists are strapped with resilient channel on 16" centers. The drywall only requires single layer. We used 5/8" thick drywall on ceiling, and 1/2" on the walls.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using myREINspace mobile app

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Ya the city wants 2 layers of 5/8's on res channel for my project. Thats a lot of weight, i hope the channels hold up.

Top Bottom