Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Damage from tenants requires large paint job

TiffanyS

Registered
Hello,

One of our basement suites has extensive damage from our tenants dogs that now requires a full re-paint. At this point we have decided to hire a professional to come in and do the work. However our tenant wants to do the work themselves so they won't owe any money over and above their security deposit.

We do not trust they will do the job up to our standards, nor do we believe it will get done in a timely manner and we would like to get this done asap so we can start showing our suite for future tenants.

Can we say they are not allowed to repaint at this point, and that we are absolutely bringing in someone to do the work? Or do we have to allow them the option to do the work themselves?

Thanks for your help

Tiffany

invst4profit

Registered
Landlords do not have to allow tenants to do work and further more should never allow tenants to do work. Tenants doing work will always be disappointing. They rarely have the skills to do work properly as they have never owned a home and therefor have no skills. In addition there motivation is not to achieve the highest possible results. The tenant pays and therefore the landlord should demand the highest possible results. Your concerns should never be about the tenants cost but rather having them pay for the damage they caused.

I personally do all renovation work myself except in the case of tenant damage. When the tenant is paying I hire contractors. This allowed me the proof to show all costs in the event the tenant refuses to pay and we end up at the board in a fight.

Also when the work is completed if the tenants are not vacating the unit make sure the pay the full cost if the reno and keep their damage deposit in place otherwise you will have no leverage when the dog destroys the place again.

TiffanyS

Registered
Thanks Thomas and Greg. I will proceed as original planned.

Tiffany

Top Bottom