Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deck - wood vs.composite??

Nicola

Registered
We have to replace an existing backyard deck in Toronto.

Wood (pressure-treated) is cheaper, but composite lasts longer and requires less maintenance (but costs quite a bit more). What would you do (assuming we are going to hold the property for at least 5-10 years ...or longer)?

Many thanks,

Nicola

invst4profit

Registered
Composite is a high end product. For rental properties, unless they are high end single family rentals, pressure treated is the practical business choice. It will last 25+ years and is more than adequate for tenants and the majority of home owners.

tnguyen

Registered
i agreed. Pressure treated deck will last for years. Maintenance? Both are required annually power wash.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Find the clearance store for a smaller hardware chain and buy the end of season stock. We have a Windsor Plywood in NE Edmonton that acts as a clearance centre for the other locations. A few years ago in early August we got enough Rhino decking for one of our rentals at a fraction of the regular price. In fact, it was cheaper than lumber. They also had damaged pieces that were cheaper still, and perfectly usable if you cut off a foot or so.

That being said, I would still consider using composite decking for a long term hold even at regular price. Not much different than using ceramic tile for a bath surround (vs acrylic) or kitchen & bathroom floors (vs lino).

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=Sherilynn] I would ..consider using ..ceramic tile for a bath surround (vs acrylic) or kitchen & bathroom floors (vs lino).

Hi Serilynn, ceramic tiles in 50-100 yrs old's in C areas too? or more for B areas and newer? Thanks, Nir

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I try to avoid homes over 50 years old. I also try to avoid C areas.

I have two 45 - 50 year old up/down's in C-ish areas (one is near a D area). One has the composite deck and the other has ceramic tile flooring, backsplashes, & shower surrounds in the kitchens and bathrooms of both suites. The higher standard of property in a so-so area enables tenants to have a really nice place that they can afford, and I get higher than average rents. And all suites are easy to rent despite their proximity to less desirable areas.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Sherilynn for the feedback, especially in a long term hold sounds like ceramic tile just makes sense in any area/age as in addition to all the advantages mentioned, it is also expected to cost less per year as lasts much longer(!)
Sincerely, Nir

invst4profit

Registered
Actually tile in a rental is not a money wise decision. Tenants generally lack respect for landlords property which results not only in damage through careless behaviour but also through neglect. As a landlord what you want is products that are easy to repair or replace when damaged. Tile is neither and not only looks bad when damaged but in most cases if left will result in water and mold damage.

Tile should be avoided except in high end rentals as lower end rentals using tile to attract tenants do not attract the quality of tenant that is responsible enough to properly care for the product.

Broken tiles, chipped and moldy grout and damage behind bath and kitchen walls is often the result of negligent tenants. They generally fail to report damaged tiles to landlords which Leeds to additional costs when finally discovered.

Drywall, laminate and carpet is most appropriate for tenants, easiest to repair and maintain as well being most cost efficient.

Tile should be reserved for home owners that value and respect their property.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I totally disagree. The up/down I have in the C-ish area with tile in both suites was tiled 6 years ago in the upper suite and 5 years ago in the lower suite. Both still look amazing. Two chips on the upper suite tile have not detracted from its appearance or appeal, and the lower suite is pristine.

If I had lino or laminate in those kitchens, I would be willing to bet that I would have had to replace them at least once already. Properly installed tile will last much longer than lino or laminate.

I think the key is having a beautiful suite and then careful tenant selection to keep the suite beautiful. And if you decide to select tenants that won't "properly care for" tile, they will do worse to laminate or lino.

Top Bottom