Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Delivery of Rent

MikeMcC874

Registered
Am I correct in my memory that someone before has mentioned that it is the tenants responsibility to ensure that the rent is delivered to the landlord by midnight on the first?

Ontario question.

I generally drive out and pick up the rents on the first as the inherited tenants do not have cheques and pay cash.

I am going to bet the one tenant is not going to be there today and did not make other arrangements. I want to be clear on where the onus lies.

Thanks
Mike

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcC874 @ Mar 1 2010, 04:08 PM) Am I correct in my memory that someone before has mentioned that it is the tenants responsibility to ensure that the rent is delivered to the landlord by midnight on the first?

Ontario question.

I generally drive out and pick up the rents on the first as the inherited tenants do not have cheques and pay cash.

I am going to bet the one tenant is not going to be there today and did not make other arrangements. I want to be clear on where the onus lies.

Thanks
Mike

Can`t answer the question with authority but will toss in a couple of thoughts. I believe the lease is the key document. If you have spelt out the way payments are to be delivered/picked up, that sets date and onus. I would expect this understanding to outlast the term of the lease as long as your exchanges did not reset expectations such as showing up a couple of days late to collect. When I was a tenant I was expected to provide a year`s worth of post-dated cheques. It seemed easier on everybody. Does someone else want to comment on this practice?

Ready4Rent

Registered
If the method of payment is being changed both parties have to agree.

I.e if you pick it up, and take cash, you cannot change it.

I.e, If you start with cheques, don`t start taking cash!.

Your tenants might not know this, and might be accepting to a change.

1. Cheques.
2. Direct into your account (provide them the account and transit details).
3. E-mail trasfer.

John

jcab256

Registered
QUOTE (RCrein @ Mar 1 2010, 10:35 PM) When I was a tenant I was expected to provide a year`s worth of post-dated cheques.

I`m not sure if it differs in other provinces, but in Manitoba, you can`t require that a tenant provide post-dated checks. You may want to check the residential Tenancies branch in your area if you are considering going this route to see if it is allowed.

invst4profit

Registered
In Ontario a tenant has the responsibility to insure rent money is in the hands of there LL by midnight on the first of the month. Once a LL/tenant have established the form of payment whether it be cash, check etc it can only be changed by mutual agreement.

As far as the LLs responsibility to pick up there tenants rent payment is concerned this is definitely not normal. A LL may at any time inform there tenant that it is there responsibility to insure the rent is delivered on time to the LL. An N4 the first time it is late is an excellent training device.

Top Bottom