Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Delwood Neighbourhood Edmonton- New investor looking for information

Matthew2145

New Forum Member
REIN Member
I am looking at a rental property in the Delwood neighbourhood in Edmonton. This would be my first property in the Edmonton Market. Does anyone else out there have any properties here? Any advice for someone looking in this area?

It seems like a nice area to me, my concern would be if it is desirable for renters in Edmonton or is it an area with a smaller potential renter pool?

I am looking at suited properties with 3 bedrooms up and 2 bedrooms down with a detached garage.

Thank you for any help or advice you may have.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Hi Matthew, I'm not sure how far along you are in your research but here is some useful info:

2014 census: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/Summary Report of All Questions_DELWOOD_2014.pdf

Neighbourhood indicators: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/Delwood.pdf

Edmonton major projects in area: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&mid=zDXF4h19vSSA.kgFjl5EZL59g

I invest in Mill Woods so I don't want to give you any specific neighbourhood opinion for in that area.

Matthew2145

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Thanks for the links Matt some of those I hadn't come across yet.

I looked at the Crime statistics for the area as well and there was about 22 crimes in that area over the last 60 days. Which is much less then some neighbourhoods but then much more then other neighbourhoods. The crimes seemed to be mostly focused around theft and Break and enters.

I liked the proximity to the Londerry Mall, the Clareview shopping area and pretty quick access to the Yellowhead and Anthony Henday.

Since I am not from Edmonton I am not sure if perhaps that Neighbourhood has a negative stigma from residents of Edmonton which would prevent people from wanting to rent in the area.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
As with any area of a city, every neighbourhood has nice pockets and not-so-nice pockets. Overall Delwood is decent.

I was looking at an up/down in Delwood last week. Quite possibly a different one, of course. The street I was on looked fine, but I wouldn't exactly consider that particular location easy access to the Henday.

Bigger question: do you have someone you trust 100% viewing the property for you? Keep in mind, most houses in this area are older (many are over 40 years old), and have undergone renovations to various degrees and of various quality. And some people's idea of "fully renovated to a high standard" is dramatically different than mine. Bottom line: I wouldn't buy a property 'sight unseen' unless I had absolute faith and trust in the person viewing it for me.

Matthew2145

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Thank you Sherilynn for the insight. I did actually go and look at the property myself and the renovations seemed to be what I considered a higher standard. I would still get a home inspection since I am far to inexperienced to make a sound decision on quality of work, but thank you for making those suggestions.

I just wasn't sure if Delwood was an attractive area for renters. I felt that it would be due to the proximity of the londonderry mall, as well as all the shopping in the Northgate Centre and the Clareview shopping area.

However since i am not a local of Edmonton I just wanted to throw it out there to some other investors incase they were privy to some information about Delwood that I may be unaware of. :)[/QUOTE]

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
No negative stigma, to the best of my knowledge. Should be good for rentals.

Top Bottom