Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Determine building and land value

TommyK

Registered
Hi REIN Fella!

I am working on my taxes right now. I looked at my assessment but there`s no breakdown of land and building value.

I know you can claim Capital Cost Allowance based on the building value. But since I can`t find any (I even emailed City of Edmonton), how do I determine the value (ie. a percentage of the purchase price)???

Any thought?

Thank you!

Tommy

brentdavies

Registered
Look at your appraisal for the mortgage, and it has a section on replacement cost, splitting land and building values. If you did not get an appraisal, call one and find out land value at time of purchase.

City of Edmonton traditionially will not give out detailed information on how the value is determined, especially this year, as the assessment dept did a bad job on the 2009 assessments in a lot of neighborhoods.

good luck

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (TommyK @ Feb 25 2009, 07:36 PM) Hi REIN Fella!

I am working on my taxes right now. I looked at my assessment but there`s no breakdown of land and building value.

I know you can claim Capital Cost Allowance based on the building value. But since I can`t find any (I even emailed City of Edmonton), how do I determine the value (ie. a percentage of the purchase price)???

Any thought?

Thank you!

Tommy
use an educated guess .. or look at your appraisal which often breaks it out ! What would the land be worth in its current zoning without a property on it ? 10% of assessment ? 2% ? 25% ? 90% ?

It depends on location, age, condition .. in some choice locations in Vancouver the land is 100% of the property value .. in some SK towns the land is worth zilch .. so it depends ..

Be aware that the CCA will have to be paid back later .. thus it allows you to bring income to 0 .. so don`t use more than that as it doesn`t buy you anything .. you can use up to 4% annually, 2% in year 1 !

TommyK

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 25 2009, 09:31 PM) use an educated guess .. or look at your appraisal which often breaks it out ! What would the land be worth in its current zoning without a property on it ? 10% of assessment ? 2% ? 25% ? 90% ?It depends on location, age, condition .. in some choice locations in Vancouver the land is 100% of the property value .. in some SK towns the land is worth zilch .. so it depends ..

Be aware that the CCA will have to be paid back later .. thus it allows you to bring income to 0 .. so don`t use more than that as it doesn`t buy you anything .. you can use up to 4% annually, 2% in year 1 !

Well, I don`t have an appraisal done for the property. So I guess I have to take an educated guess?

Built in 1998
low-rise walk-up condo
830sq

It`s hard to calculate land value for an apartment style condo. This is my first year doing tax for this property.

Should I just allocate like 90% building value since it is a condo?

By the way, I understand CCA can only be used to reduce net income (can`t create further loss). But why do I have to pay it back later? When I sell the property?

Does this mean that if I use CCA and depreciate the asset, then when I resell the property, I have to claim the capital gain on the "building" appreciation?

ie. say 200,000 purchase price, 90% building value at $180,000, depreciate 4% for 5 years = 140,000 (roughly at year 5)
So if I sell the property for $230,000 (90% building = 207,000; 207,000 - 140,000 =
capital gain on the building?)

Am I interpreting this wrongly?

Thank you in advance Thomas!!

Mike Milovick

Registered
QUOTE (TommyK @ Feb 25 2009, 09:36 PM) Hi REIN Fella!

If its a condo, I would allocate 100% to building. Zero to land.

Mike

Any thought?

Thank you!

Tommy

CalvinPeters

Registered
This is what I would call a "GREAT BIG HUGE GIANT GRAY AREA" when I was starting out a few years ago I went through this over, and over...I told the accountants to just pick a number, they wouldnt, I looked all over and only just got more confused. We finally just pulled a number out of the air out of frusteration and called it good. (I was REALLY tired of the topic by then) Just make it look reasonable and move forward. IF you are able to figure out this thing in a simple formula, let me know...I will buy you lunch and you can tell me all about it! (grin)

TommyK

Registered
QUOTE (Nukav @ Feb 26 2009, 09:16 AM) This is what I would call a "GREAT BIG HUGE GIANT GRAY AREA" when I was starting out a few years ago I went through this over, and over...I told the accountants to just pick a number, they wouldnt, I looked all over and only just got more confused. We finally just pulled a number out of the air out of frusteration and called it good. (I was REALLY tired of the topic by then) Just make it look reasonable and move forward. IF you are able to figure out this thing in a simple formula, let me know...I will buy you lunch and you can tell me all about it! (grin)
I was confused too. Vancouver`s property assessment has a breakdown of building and land value, whereas Edmonton`s don`t.

So realistically, is it higher the building value in relation to purchase price the better for tax purposes???

Since it is an apartment style condo, is it reasonable to assume 90% building value then? For townhouses, I would say anywhere between 65-80% building value?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Tommy

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (TommyK @ Feb 25 2009, 10:59 PM) ...
Should I just allocate like 90% building value since it is a condo?
sounds a tad high .. but is fairly close to "reasonable" ... 10% is OK if it is a 20+ story highrise .. land cost alone is probably 15-25% for a low rise condo .. higher if condo is real old and ready to be bulldozed ..

GarthChapman

Registered
Use the last appraisal you have. It should note the land value and the building value. Then assign the great majority of the gain or loss since then to the land portion of the total value, as construction costs are satic or even down depending on your benchmark date.

Another method- have your insurer tell you what the replacement cost for the building is, less the demolition and cleanup they insure you for, and that subtracted from your current market value is the land value.

TommyK

Registered
Hi Garth,

I looked at my assessment and it doesn`t have the breakdown, but I will ask my insurance broker.

I would probably assign 80% for building value. This is a low-rise condo.

Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom