Developing Family-Owned Residences into Townhouses

TonyMandrique

Registered
Dec 15, 2008
A family friend was planning to develop family-owned principal residences into townhouses and wondering if any REIN members have done this in the past. If so, sharing your experiences and thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

You are talking condo conversion i.e. converting existing rowhouses on one title to several ?

or are you talking re-development i.e. tearing down a house and building 3-4 THs ?

Your question is rather vague.

I have done several condo conversions.

Share some more specific details please so I or others can help you.

TonyMandrique

Registered
Dec 15, 2008
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]or are you talking re-development i.e. tearing down a house and building 3-4 THs ?

Sorry about that.....the family is planning to demolish adjoining old residential properties and build 9-10 townhouses. They got ball park figures of whole construction costs from developers/builders doing projects in the area. But, the family members are overwhelmed with the idea and not really sure how to proceed. By the way, the properties are situated in a hot market in Toronto. Any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated. Thanks.

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
[quote user=TonyMandrique]But, the family members are overwhelmed with the idea and not really sure how to proceed.

Might it be better to sell the parcel as a ready development site to an experienced developer/builder? You may be able to negotiate taking some of the purchase price in kind (ie. as a townhouse) if they'd prefer that.

Regards,

Michael

Dec 15, 2008
[quote user=bizaro86]Might it be better to sell the parcel as a ready development site to an experienced developer/builder? You may be able to negotiate taking some of the purchase price in kind (ie. as a townhouse) if they'd prefer that.

They are considering these options. They will meet the developers/builders in the next few days and may decide.

Thanks Thomas and Michael for your feedback.

Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
This

Good post Michael

If I have a lot that works great for a convenience store I'm not operating a convenience store on it. I'm not in that business. Sell it to someone that is.

[quote user=bizaro86][quote user=TonyMandrique]But, the family members are overwhelmed with the idea and not really sure how to proceed.

Might it be better to sell the parcel as a ready development site to an experienced developer/builder? You may be able to negotiate taking some of the purchase price in kind (ie. as a townhouse) if they'd prefer that.

Regards,

Michael

Dec 15, 2008
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]Development is a business which requires deep skills and access to capital. Does the home owner have that ? Why not sell and get out ?

Thanks Thomas.

They may have access to capital but limited business experience and skills. The family may decide anytime.

Thanks again.