Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Diffrence between duplex and single family dwelling with two units

matarese

Registered
Hi Everyone!

I am very new to RE and the more I read the more confused I am. So please help me out!

When it comes down to renting out what is the diffrence between duplex and single familly dwelling with two units. Is it legal to rent out these two units.

invst4profit

Registered
It comes down to legality. A duplex was built as two legal units. A SFH split up may never have been approved by the municipality as a legal two unit. It could be shut down and it definitely will effect your ability to get a mortgage.

Two disadvantages of SFH is noise between units and most likely only one meter and furnace.
My advice is if two units do not have separate utilities do not buy it. Far too much tenant abuse of utilities. Rent should always be plus utilities in the tenants name.

matarese

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Feb 24 2010, 06:15 PM) It comes down to legality. A duplex was built as two legal units. A SFH split up may never have been approved by the municipality as a legal two unit. It could be shut down and it definitely will effect your ability to get a mortgage.

Two disadvantages of SFH is noise between units and most likely only one meter and furnace.
My advice is if two units do not have separate utilities do not buy it. Far too much tenant abuse of utilities. Rent should always be plus utilities in the tenants name.

Thank you for your reply. It explained a lot.

vandriani

REIN Member
I also find that the word "Duplex" means different things in different places.

A duplex in Vancouver (BC) is typically a single structure with 2 dwellings side by side
A duplex in alberta can be the same but sometimes also refers to a single structure with a upper suite and a lower suite.

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (vandriani @ Feb 25 2010, 06:51 PM) I also find that the word "Duplex" means different things in different places.

A duplex in Vancouver (BC) is typically a single structure with 2 dwellings side by side
A duplex in alberta can be the same but sometimes also refers to a single structure with a upper suite and a lower suite.

A duplex in Ontario usually means an over and under. A side by side is called a semi.

housingrental

Registered
I second this
I`ll also second Greg`s post
But add to his:
Often the second description can mean:
a) not legal
OR
b)accessory apartment (not purpose built but registered after the fact allowed through provincial legislation in the early 90`s that had less requirements)
OR
c) Duplex just with a different description

QUOTE (RCrein @ Feb 25 2010, 08:46 PM) A duplex in Ontario usually means an over and under. A side by side is called a semi.

Top Bottom