Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Direct Buy --does anyone have experience with this company?

hjung

Registered
Hi all.

I would really appreciate some help with "Direct Buy". They claim to sell brandname products at manufacturer`s prices (below wholesale) and I want to know the veracity of their statement.

They refuse to give out their price lists, refuse to tell what their membership costs are. One has to attend an open house tour, where all the information is given out such as price lists, membership cost. You are then given a choice to join or not, and are only given that one chance to join. If you choose not to join, one cannot be invited to join afterwards.

I really dislike these marketing tactics and generally do not make impulse buys. So before going to their open house, I`d like to get some more information.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this company and whether their prices are truly at manufacturer`s prices?

any and all help\comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Howard

willy

Registered
We went to their open house in Waterloo. They wanted $3000ish to join plus an annual fee. There was a lot of pressure to join, which to me sets off alarm bells. If their product was really so fantastic an opportunity, there`d be no need for pressure at all.
When we opted not to join, the sales rep became distinctly unfriendly, and we only received our "free gift for attending" after my wife made an issue of it. She hates to be pushed around, and the gift became a focal point for her anger. Poor guy`ll probably never be the same again. =)

albainstar

Registered
I felt the same
I went there a few years back and I was interested but of course wanted to think about it. They became really abrupt and told me if I didnt buy right then and there I would never be given the oppertunity EVER again. they were really pissed I wouldnt cave.

Whoa alarm bells.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (albainstar @ Jul 9 2008, 11:09 AM) I felt the same
I went there a few years back and I was interested but of course wanted to think about it. They became really abrupt and told me if I didnt buy right then and there I would never be given the oppertunity EVER again. they were really pissed I wouldnt cave.

Whoa alarm bells.

I went as well. Anything that gives that "timeshare condo" type of pressure and feel, I back out.

fredfehlauer

Registered
We have a directbuy membership. I guess we were susibtable. There claim is correct however what they don`t tell you is you also give up all service, if there is a problem, you must deal directly with the manufacturer, which is not easy. It`s not that manufactures aren`t interested, thy`re just not set up to deal with an individual concern. They are set up to deal with wholesalers and big volume.
The other thing we found is that each dealership works differently. We used to live in Edmonton and those people are difficult to deal with. Once they have your money and you have a problem "oh-well"

We moved to Kelowna and they are completely different, helpful knowledgeable and commited to good service.

In the end we probably broke even thanks to the Kelowna people but the hassle and inconvience especially from the edmonton group just isn`t worth it. My advice (in hind sight) is it`s not worth it.

Anonymous

Registered
I have a Direct Buy membership in Edmonton and find it very worthwhile. I joined over five years ago, back when the membership price was below $2,000. Because I have replaced the windows in several of our rental houses, the membership paid for itself long ago. I have also treated myself to some personal luxuries, like a front-load washer and dryer and an extravagant bath tub. Many of my non-landlord friends use their memberships regularly to buy items like electronics and Christmas gifts. Honestly, I forget to use it for those type of purchases.

Direct Buy`s sales-style is unfortunate, because it reminds most of us of a bad time-share presentation we endured. Fortunately, I was able to look past their style and analyze the program on the spot and knew it would be good for my business. In short, if you use it, it pays off. BTW, I have always found the staff in Edmonton courteous and helpful.

Catherine Brooker, Edmonton

clwenner

REIN Member
I joined over 8 years ago now & have made my money back again and again and again and again. iThe only downfall is that you really have to know what you are buying before catalogue searching & you really do still have to shop around to make sure the price is the best so it can be time consuming but you will save tonnes of money. I purchased all my appliances, 42" plasma TV, Central A/C unti for my home, flooring, furniture, window coverings etc through them. I had to return a mattress (faulty) 5 years after purcahse & it was only a prob since I went direct to the manfacturer (which you`re not supposed to do). So i created confusion for everyone.

I joined Toronto North but moved to the Downtown location (which is basically Laird & Eglington). The staff is great. Yes the sales tactic sucks but you have to understand that they divulge lots of confidential pricing information. My recommendation would be to go to a presentation at one site then go to another one (the one you wish to be your home base) for the same presentation once you are sure you want to join. Every centre is owned by differnent people so they won`t know if you`ve been to a presentation before.

So it`s been great for me! Hope it`s as good for you!

Aaron

Registered
Direct Buy is very much worth your while. But you have to do your home work, and know exactly what you want, down to the product code. My wife and I built a house using the direct buy contact list and ordering through the catalogues. We saved a lot of money in the building package, plus we are finishing it with high end fixtures, flooring, appliances, for the same cost or cheaper, then if we were to buy standard grade products at retail cost. Direct Buy is worth it, if you use it, and are in the buying/consuming mode. (building/renovating)

Aaron

donksky

Registered
It depends on how much brand new products you need to buy from their offerings & how frequently. I don`t buy much appliances/furniture to make it worth my while to be a member. so do the math - just as I don`t find it economical to be a member of Costco... will your savings be real and is it going to be equal to or more than what you spend on the mbrship fee?

Top Bottom