Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do i have to meet with lawyer in person?

AndyLuchies

Registered
I`m buying a property in Alberta, I`m from Ontario, and don`t want to have to go see my lawyer in person. Is it LAW that a person has to have a physical meeting with their lawyer to sign closing papers?
I was told by my Ontario lawyer that i had to meet with him. But then i read on a lawyer`s website in saskatchewan, that for out of province clients, everything can be done through distance....
does anyone here know the rules? Or does each firm make its own rules.

GarthChapman

Registered
WHat they do have to do is to verify that you are who you say you are - it is up to them to decide how to do that. You are not required to meet in person, but given identity theft issues this ID confirmation has become very important.

Hope that helps,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (jessandy @ Sep 26 2009, 03:45 PM) I`m buying a property in Alberta, I`m from Ontario, and don`t want to have to go see my lawyer in person. Is it LAW that a person has to have a physical meeting with their lawyer to sign closing papers?
no .. but you may need an ON based lawyer to verify ID and witness certain signatures ..

It helps to meet key members of your team at least once and then on a regular (annual?) basis ! Thus, cost of long distance investing with travel and lack of direct contact to people and property has to be seen in context of size of asset or $s invested .. it may not make sense to place $25,000 for a condo or $50,000 for a house to fly 3x/year from ON to AB and meet people ..

I used to run a DB2 user group in California and had many clients in California ... but I was there every quarter or more frequently .. and in my last meeting one member of the DB2 user group said .. 403 area code .. that is not in the Bay Area, is it ?

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (jessandy @ Sep 26 2009, 03:45 PM) I`m buying a property in Alberta, I`m from Ontario, and don`t want to have to go see my lawyer in person. Is it LAW that a person has to have a physical meeting with their lawyer to sign closing papers?
I was told by my Ontario lawyer that i had to meet with him. But then i read on a lawyer`s website in saskatchewan, that for out of province clients, everything can be done through distance....
does anyone here know the rules? Or does each firm make its own rules.

Most Alberta RE Lawyers now ask for and take copies of your drivers license to varify your identity which is now required by law.

Your AB lawyer may just ask you to fax a copy of your driver`s license or you may have to get a notarized letter from a Notary Public or Lawyer in your area confirming your identity -- usually very minimal charge for such a service.

MonteDobson

Registered
You DO NOT need to meet face to face! We live in SK and have bought properties in AB.

The process is relatively simple. They courier all of the paperwork, which needs to be signed/witnessed in front of a Notary Public, then sent back. We also send a copy of our drivers license and passport as ID confirmation.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (C2Ventures @ Sep 27 2009, 10:52 AM) You DO NOT need to meet face to face! We live in SK and have bought properties in AB.

The process is relatively simple. They courier all of the paperwork, which needs to be signed/witnessed in front of a Notary Public, then sent back. We also send a copy of our drivers license and passport as ID confirmation.

Yes, absolutely true. We`ve bought properties in Alberta from here in Korea.

manojsingh

Registered
Andy if you do not mind can you tell why you have decided Alberta while good properties are availbale in Hamilton. Your feed back will lead us to reconsider our investment decision. Thanks

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (manojsingh @ Sep 26 2009, 11:17 PM) Andy if you do not mind can you tell why you have decided Alberta while good properties are availbale in Hamilton. Your feed back will lead us to reconsider our investment decision. Thanks

Just a couple:
  • Lower taxes
  • Better tenancy laws
  • Better economic fundamentalsMore people making more moneyBetter rent/purchase price ratiosHigher ambient IQ

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Sep 27 2009, 05:14 PM)
  • Higher ambient IQ

Really?? We`ve had some really bad tenants in AB. Though I guess that doesn`t mean they`re not smart....good at not paying rent...

GaryMcGowan

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Sep 27 2009, 04:14 AM)
  • Higher ambient IQ
Nice one,,, not sure if that`s a jab or not, LOL. 

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Sep 27 2009, 07:43 AM) Nice one,,, not sure if that`s a jab or not, LOL.

Just a friendly joke...made in the morning before I had coffee...

Top Bottom