Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you provide bulbs for your tenants?

spark1

Registered
Hi all,

I have a tenant who rents an unfurnished room in the basement, all utilities included. He has been renting for only three months but already 4 ceiling bulbs had to be replaced. He keeps asking that I buy the bulbs for him. So far I did, but it gets annoying. I looked into our rental agreement and there is no word about who is responsible for the bulbs. What you suggest me to do?

Tenant is on time with payments, however a bit high-maintenance (2-3 calls per month).

Thank you for you advices,

spark

koop

Registered
QUOTE (spark1 @ Jul 29 2010, 11:09 AM) Hi all,

I have a tenant who rents an unfurnished room in the basement, all utilities included. He has been renting for only three months but already 4 ceiling bulbs had to be replaced. He keeps asking that I buy the bulbs for him. So far I did, but it gets annoying. I looked into our rental agreement and there is no word about who is responsible for the bulbs. What you suggest me to do?

Tenant is on time with payments, however a bit high-maintenance (2-3 calls per month).

Thank you for you advices,

spark

In our RTA (Manitoba) its the tenants job to replace light bulbs, I make sure they are all there and working when they move in, then its their job to replace them when they burn out. Exception being the common areas.

brentdavies

Registered
To supply or not to supply. My old answer was no, you the tenant buy the lights.

But in recent years, where we have gone from the $2.69 12 inch square bedroom fixture to the newer 1\2 dome fixture with the nipple screw knob. ( we jokingly refer to these lights as the nipple fixtures). Too often we do a move out and the tenant has removed the globe to replace bulbs and not put the fixture back together again. The parts get lost. So off you go to the store to try to find the knob to match the fixture. The old fixtures, the knobs were 29 cents and easy to find. The more modern fixture,or nipple fixture is harder to find parts and more expensive. Or replace the fixture with a new $12 fixture.

Our solution is to buy 10,000 hour , 130 volt light bulbs, which will last about 5 years in an average home. We purchase these by the case at Litemore in Edmonton at a cost of $o.89 per bulb, and have not had to replace any fixtures because of lost parts.

Some of the newer fixtures use PL lights, halgon lights, and fat albert bulbs, which much more expensive. Very expense retail and much easier on the pocket book with a lighting company such as litemore.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (spark1 @ Jul 29 2010, 10:09 AM) ..What you suggest me to do?
it is the landlord`s job usually unless specifically stated in rental contract that repairs up to XXX $s are to be covered by tenant !

You also have the option of ignoring his calls .. but risk his nonpayment of rent, him trashing the place or him moving out.

Just because someone phones doesn`t mean you have to respond ! But you have to live through the consequences !

You could negotiate a minor lease amendment, such as

Tenant receives $40 off a month but tenant is responsible for any repairs up to $250.

... that might do the trick.

Berubeland

Registered
In Ontario you may never contract out of your responsibility to maintain the premises. Light bulbs and fuses are consumables and replacement is not "maintenance"

Having said that... I`ll change light bulbs for seniors.

Light bulbs are also all working or replaced when the unit is rented.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (Berubeland @ Jul 29 2010, 01:30 PM) In Ontario you may never contract out of your responsibility to maintain the premises. Light bulbs and fuses are consumables and replacement is not "maintenance"

Having said that... I`ll change light bulbs for seniors.

Light bulbs are also all working or replaced when the unit is rented.

Is there an "official" classification of light bulbs as maintenance anywhere in the RTA? Because otherwise it seems to me they`re consumables, and the tenants responsibility. I don`t change the roll of toilet paper when that runs out either.

That being said, when I rent out a place all the light bulbs work, and there`s a fresh roll of toilet paper. Because people don`t remember to bring either when they move.

Michael

brentdavies

Registered
The RTA in Alberta does not say exactly the landlord is to provide other than the roof over the heads of the tenants.

We don`t provide toilet paper either. Light bulbs no. Electricity no. Lawnmover in single family units-no, snow shovel no.

spark1

Registered
Thank you very much for your feedback. I love an analogy with the toilet paper.

Obviously I take care of the common space and all light bulbs were working in his room when he moved in. Theoretically they should last longer than 3 months. Another thing - these ceiling bulbs are kind of expensive - around $4 per bulb.

I am in Ontario. I am trying to find something in RTA to support my position to refuse provide him bulbs in the future.

Thanks again to all.

Spark

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Jul 29 2010, 02:01 PM) Is there an "official" classification of light bulbs as maintenance anywhere in the RTA? Because otherwise it seems to me they`re consumables, and the tenants responsibility. I don`t change the roll of toilet paper when that runs out either.

That being said, when I rent out a place all the light bulbs work, and there`s a fresh roll of toilet paper. Because people don`t remember to bring either when they move.

Michael

Goodstuff

Registered
QUOTE (brentdavies @ Jul 29 2010, 04:13 PM) The RTA in Alberta does not say exactly the landlord is to provide other than the roof over the heads of the tenants.

We don`t provide toilet paper either. Light bulbs no. Electricity no. Lawnmover in single family units-no, snow shovel no.

I always provide a lawnmower and a shovel. If I didn`t, I know the grass would never get cut and in the winter the sidewalk would be unrecognizable under 5 feet of snow. And that can net the homeowner a fine in Calgary.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Jul 30 2010, 02:11 AM) I always provide a lawnmower and a shovel. If I didn`t, I know the grass would never get cut and in the winter the sidewalk would be unrecognizable under 5 feet of snow. And that can net the homeowner a fine in Calgary.

How many properties could you own if you have to replace light bulbs and fuses? Are we supposed to change the kids diapers as well.

terri

Registered
[quote name=`spark1` date=`Jul 29 2010, 03:29 PM` post=`90322`]
Thank you very much for your feedback. I love an analogy with the toilet paper.

Obviously I take care of the common space and all light bulbs were working in his room when he moved in. Theoretically they should last longer than 3 months. Another thing - these ceiling bulbs are kind of expensive - around $4 per bulb.

I am in Ontario. I am trying to find something in RTA to support my position to refuse provide him bulbs in the future.

Thanks again to all.

Spark

/quote]

hi Spark,
4 bulbs in 3 months--is it possible there is an electrical issue? or were they just installed at the same time and coming to the end of their life at the same time? If it`s an electrical issue, then you should get an electrician in to look at it because your tenant should not have to deal with that many bulbs burning out all the time. If it`s simply that the bulbs were all installed at the same time and coming to the end of their life, then count the rest of the bulbs in his space and buy a bunch at once and give him.

At $4 a bulb, I would not expect my tenant to pay for that, they did not chose the light fixture that requires $4 bulbs. What kind of bulb is it and can you just buy it cheaper in bulk?

I would just buy the bulb and pick up one or 2 extra. Just think, for a small investment of only $8, you can save yourself 2 phone calls, 2 trips to the store and 2 trips to the house. How much is your time worth?

One thing you can do for future is make sure that all lighting fixtured installed take a standard type bulb, that will make things easier for you. OR, you can just supply an extra bulb or 2 at move in for any "unusual" bulb requirements. I usually try and supply at least one extra bulb for any light fixture that does not take the regular cheap 60 watt standard light bulb, ie track lighting, pot lighting. Think of it as practive landlording of sorts, a small investment up front that will save you time later and show your tenants that care. Think about it from a tenant prespective, it would also be a lot easier for him if when the bulb blew he had one there to replace it instead of calling you and waiting for you come over with it. He would be much happier (we hope, some people will never be happy) and therefore perhaps feel better about his home and hopefully call you less. All this for only $4 a bulb, it`s a deal, really.

just my 2cents,
Terri

Top Bottom