Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you still rent it to this tenant???

BDFI

Registered
Hello,

I approved a couple to rent a home from me last week. We were to meet on Friday (Feb 4) to obtain a deposit/sign the lease. He was unable to make it on Friday and left me a voice mail indicating he would be off Wed/Thurs (Feb 9/10) and we could meet up then to obtain deposit/sign lease. Yesterday morning (Feb 9) I contacted him to arrange a time to meet. I never heard from him so I assumed he found something else to rent and this morning (Feb 10) I contacted the potential tenants on my waiting list to let them know the place was available. I showed the unit to three potential tenants this afternoon, one more scheduled for Sunday and still need to return two phone calls (ie: lots of interest). I then received a voice mail this evening from the initial tenant indicating that he would still like the place.

Would you rent it to the original tenant or move on and try to qualify someone else?

Not sure if it matters but someone will ask...the property is in Alberta.

Thanks!

Bart

fisher1

Registered
I wouldn't rent to them. If there is any doubt, before they are your tenants reject them. I am saying this because I just evicted a tenant, that before I accepted him there were a couple of small red flags that I ignored, because I thought he would be a good tenant and wasn't sure how to react. If the couple can't meet you on a set date and time, will they be able to pay your rent on time?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
not necessarily .. pick the one of the 3 candidates that suits YOU best after credit score analysis, previous rental history, references and "gut" !!

BDFI

Registered
Thanks Fisher and Thomas.

I agree that if it is this difficult and he is not a tenant yet I will probably not get easier.

How would you approach dealing with the original "tenant"? Offer an explanation or just indicate I have chosen not to rent it to him.

Thanks,

Bart

REINteam

Registered
No explanation needed, just "I've decided to rent to someone else". Besides wasting your time and not getting back to you...how did he score on the other aspects listed: gut, credit score, references, past tenancy??

Personally I probably wouldn't bother with someone who couldn't be bothered to meet me, as stated above, there is a higher probability they won't be inclined to pay on time either. Crank up even more marketing, get more leads, get some applications, fully run their history and get someone who checks out and makes you AND rent a priority.

BDFI

Registered
Thanks Ray.

It was to be this fellow and his fiance. He scored well (his only negative is he has two large dogs) and she had historical credit issues she was working on (disclosed prior to me checking credit) - so average as a couple.

The response has been fantastic and six of the eight people on the waiting list have either viewed the home or are scheduled to this weekend. Gut check is saying moving past this couple is the right thing to do.

Thanks again,

Bart

Top Bottom