Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Does 40% downpayment requires income verification?

vnwind

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have foreign friend that wants to invest in Canada and he was curious what is the minimum downpayment that he needs to able to purchase a rental property? Does it even exist?

Thanks

3canctheayr

Registered
For Canadian residents, down payments for investment properties vary between 20 and 35% depending on the situation and financial institution. For foreign residents, I'm not sure. In the US, banks have tended to avoid giving mortgages to many non-residents, at least since 2008 anyways...

You could probably call a mortgage broker, they might be able to help you with that......

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
It depends on the overall networth. 25% - 35% down usually, but some very high networth foreign individuals still get mortgages with 20% down. Depends on the overall banking relationship. If foreigner has zero Canadian bank relationships and its foreign affiliate then 35% down usually.

vnwind

Registered
Thanks Thomas, do you know any mortgage broker that specialize in this so I can refer my friend to talk to?

Top Bottom