Does anyone remember when?

Jan 13, 2008
Edmonton
Wow, does that whole coalition thing ever seem like a long time ago? What came in like such a lion really went out like a docile little lamb.

THANK GOD!!!!! What a horrible idea it was in the first place.

However, Harper has a real foe on his hands now, no more Stevie Dion as a whipping boy. Ignatieff, like him or hate him will be a difficult man to defeat.

EdRenkema

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Beamsville, Ontario
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Jan 28 2009, 05:18 PM) Wow, does that whole coalition thing ever seem like a long time ago? What came in like such a lion really went out like a docile little lamb.

THANK GOD!!!!! What a horrible idea it was in the first place.

However, Harper has a real foe on his hands now, no more Stevie Dion as a whipping boy. Ignatieff, like him or hate him will be a difficult man to defeat.

Well said, Iggy is smart, articulate, and makes no bones about it, he is the leader of the opposition and he is playing hardball from day one. A well run minority gov`t is not a bad thing, just realize we may never see a capital gains tax deferral under a minority.

GarthChapman

Registered
Aug 30, 2007
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 28 2009, 09:04 PM) Well said, Iggy is smart, articulate, and makes no bones about it, he is the leader of the opposition and he is playing hardball from day one. A well run minority gov`t is not a bad thing, just realize we may never see a capital gains tax deferral under a minority.

Agreed. Iggy is smart and articulate. He is a lifelong academic and author. And very good at both those noble professions. He has never spent a day making a living in the real world. None of his experience makes him even remotely qualified to lead a country, so let`s hope that Harper gets it right this time around.

JohnS

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Ottawa
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 28 2009, 11:37 PM) Agreed. Iggy is smart and articulate. He is a lifelong academic and author. And very good at both those noble professions. He has never spent a day making a living in the real world. None of his experience makes him even remotely qualified to lead a country, so let`s hope that Harper gets it right this time around.

I`m just wondering, Garth, what experience you think someone would need to lead a country. I mean, how does making a living as a plumber, or working in an office, or as a doctor, translate into being able to lead a country. Obviously there has to be more to it than just "making a living in the real world". Now, I`m not trying to seriously defend Ignatieff here, as I don`t know enough about him to do so. However, I do like the fact that he is smart and an intellectual. I like the fact that he is able to see different sides of things, ponder them seriously, and then come to an informed decision as opposed to staring so long into his own ideology that he gets blinded to the facts.

So, I`ll open it up to everyone. What traits do you look for in a leader, either in general, as the head of a country, or as the head of the opposition?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Ignatieff has been party leader for what... two months? Less than that? And here is what he has already demonstrated:
- he is not afraid of Harper or of keeping him accountable
- he wants to evaluate things before making rash/big decisions (unlike Layton!)
- he can be constructive as the opposition leader, rather than simply destructive like most opposition leaders
- he is smart and thinks things through

I loved that he made no promises to either side until the budget was actually tabled, and then took the time to evaluate it (what a concept!). People like Layton who simply oppose for the sake of opposing are harmful and should not be in leadership. In fact, when the whole "coalition" thing first took place, I thought that every single one of the so-called "leaders" was acting like a baby and ought to have stepped down, apologizing profusely for wasting all of our time and money and making Canada look bad.

I don`t trust Harper as far as I can throw him, so I do hope that with someone like Ignatieff to keep him accountable, maybe some progress will actually be made.

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
I`ve liked what I`ve seen so far from the new Liberal leader, whatever his reasons are for doing so. I am definitely bias, as I am a Liberal at heart. However, I do vote with my brain, so I`m keeping a watchfull eye on things.

GarthChapman

Registered
Aug 30, 2007
QUOTE (JohnS @ Jan 28 2009, 10:20 PM) I`m just wondering, Garth, what experience you think someone would need to lead a country. I mean, how does making a living as a plumber, or working in an office, or as a doctor, translate into being able to lead a country. Obviously there has to be more to it than just "making a living in the real world". Now, I`m not trying to seriously defend Ignatieff here, as I don`t know enough about him to do so. However, I do like the fact that he is smart and an intellectual. I like the fact that he is able to see different sides of things, ponder them seriously, and then come to an informed decision as opposed to staring so long into his own ideology that he gets blinded to the facts. So, I`ll open it up to everyone. What traits do you look for in a leader, either in general, as the head of a country, or as the head of the opposition?Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Leadership
is in part an inate skill, but is primarily something that must be learned and practiced. Leading a company, for example, is a great proving ground, as one must deal with a full range of challenges, and the experience of succeding and of failing are formative. Having the Royal Jelly may be in the genes, but at-the-top leadership experience is essential. Leadership starts with having a vision and being able to clearly articulate it. Leaders must have credibility with the people they lead and, most critically, must be able to inspire the people to take on the leader`s vision as their own
. I just don`t see much opportunity for such top level leadership experience in the world of the academic or of the author. Those people certainly do teach at a high level, deal with theory, philosphic discussion, and must possess outstanding communication skills. But there is no success or failure there as is found in business; those things as are decided by the harsh realities of the marketplace.

Earning one`s way in the working world
is what grounds one in the challenges the average Joe faces every day. That grounding is critical. Leaders tend to make decisions reflective of their backgrounds and life experiences. Having to work hard, face economic hardships, deal with successes and failures, and being tested in the marketplace are key to understanding how to create success.

I recognize that even experienced captains of industry do not always succeed in the top job - Paul Martin was Canada`s best-ever Finance Minister by all measures, but he could not successfully lead either the Liberal Party or the country. On the flip side of the coin, Jean Cretien was a very strong and effective and successful leader, and though I did not agree with many of his decisions, we were lead decisively during his watch.

I much prefer to bet on the odds on this issue. I do recognize these are not absolute sure-fire rules, but they are most often predictors of future success in leadership roles.

This is the most important leadership role in Canada, and at a most critical juncture in our history, so I want someone who has a track record at the top, and not someone who is undergoing his leadership training while on the job

EdRenkema

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Beamsville, Ontario
QUOTE (JohnS @ Jan 28 2009, 11:20 PM) So, I`ll open it up to everyone. What traits do you look for in a leader, either in general, as the head of a country, or as the head of the opposition?
Have a good one, all!

JohnS

It`s the difference between real and ideal. What works in the academic world does not necessarily work in the real world. Ever notice that most successful business leaders do not necessarily have business school training? And why do you think that is? I`ll admit its partly their nature but its also trial by fire.
Intellectuals always
take the moral high ground since they perceive themselves to be doing what is just and right. Realists base their decisions on real world experience and have the capacity to understand that a difficult decision while not seeming justified will often be more productive and in time be of greater good for the majority involved.