Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drying carpet after pipe leak

Dejavu

Registered
I had a pipe leak in one of the units and now have a wet carpet. It is no longer wet to the point where water can be sucked out of it with a rugmaster machine, but it is still somewhat moist. I have two fans blowing on it continuously for around 2 days, but the tenant tells me there is now a musty smell in the apartment. Does this mean I will need to replace the carpet? Any other options you could suggest, will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

housingrental

Registered
If 2 days latter it still smells and is damp you`ll have an unhappy tenant and some smell for a long time ...so yes, you`ll need to replace the carpet.

Ready4Rent

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 14 2008, 09:04 PM) If 2 days latter it still smells and is damp you`ll have an unhappy tenant and some smell for a long time ...so yes, you`ll need to replace the carpet.

Hard to say, how much water etc, sucking it up immediately and run a dehumidifier for a few days might have helped, but to me it sounds like your past that stage, unfortunately you have to replace.

John

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (Ready4Rent @ Aug 14 2008, 09:21 PM) Hard to say, how much water etc, sucking it up immediately and run a dehumidifier for a few days might have helped, but to me it sounds like your past that stage, unfortunately you have to replace.

JohnIt maybe too late now, but when my finance had a water pipe accidently cut into when installing new windows, the contractor used a a wet/dry vacuum first then a friend supplied a "de-humidifier". He had to empty the tank every couple of hours. That thing sucked the moisture out of the air and the next day the carpet was dry.

mikecunning

REIN Member
You may want to consider notifying your insurance company! Your policy may cover this type of replacement.

If this is a sewer pipe, there is extensive remediation that needs to be done.

QUOTE (Dejavu @ Aug 14 2008, 06:40 PM) I had a pipe leak in one of the units and now have a wet carpet. It is no longer wet to the point where water can be sucked out of it with a rugmaster machine, but it is still somewhat moist. I have two fans blowing on it continuously for around 2 days, but the tenant tells me there is now a musty smell in the apartment. Does this mean I will need to replace the carpet? Any other options you could suggest, will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dplummer

Registered
As a restoration contractor I can offer this: If there is underpad, remove it. If the backing of the carpet shows signs of mould replace it. If it is a rubber backed carpet replace it. Ideally we try to dry the carpet within 48 hrs. It`s like putting your laundry out on the line. You need air flow & dry conditions(dehumidifiers) to dry it. Home Depot will sell a product you can spray to help with odour & mould.
Doug

Dejavu

Registered
Thank you all for your input. Just to close the loop with everyone....I now raised the carpet, removed the underlay and have a blower from Home Depot running 24 hrs. Also have a dehumidifier running. The carpet cleaning company will come out in 7 days after all is dry to put down new underlay, treat the area with something to kill any remnants of mold etc lay the carpet and clean the carpet. This was my first leak of this magnitute and I certainly dropped the ball, should`ve tried to suck up the water with a rug master first and ran a blower and a dehumidifier immediately. Would`ve been a lot less costly and less disruptions to tenants. Well, we`ll chuck it off to experience and move on to bigger/better things.

Thanks again for your input!

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (Dejavu @ Aug 16 2008, 10:01 AM) Thank you all for your input. Just to close the loop with everyone....I now raised the carpet, removed the underlay and have a blower from Home Depot running 24 hrs. Also have a dehumidifier running. The carpet cleaning company will come out in 7 days after all is dry to put down new underlay, treat the area with something to kill any remnants of mold etc lay the carpet and clean the carpet. This was my first leak of this magnitute and I certainly dropped the ball, should`ve tried to suck up the water with a rug master first and ran a blower and a dehumidifier immediately. Would`ve been a lot less costly and less disruptions to tenants. Well, we`ll chuck it off to experience and move on to bigger/better things.

Thanks again for your input!

I suggest thanking your tenant for their patience and perhaps giving them a gift basket or something.

Real

Dejavu

Registered
QUOTE (realfortin @ Aug 16 2008, 05:51 PM) I suggest thanking your tenant for their patience and perhaps giving them a gift basket or something.

Real

Yep, already done.

Top Bottom