Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Due diligence: a way to check on builders and new homes

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
We are in the midst of dealing with issues with a new house and have just learned of a way to check on a builder's integrity and on the home itself.

A potential buyer may call the municipality and request copies of their inspections and any files related to the building permit.

Unfortunately, the province only requires 2 inspections, but many municipalities do more, especially on builders that tend to have issues.

Our property had NINE inspections and the town has records of all sorts of problems. They would have been happy to provide the reports to a potential buyer. Had I seen these reports prior to purchasing the property, I most certainly would not have purchased it.

The inspector said that they would love to be able to put a sign on the front lawn stating the reasons that people should not buy certain houses, but unfortunately that is not allowed. They can only provide the information to people who request it.

So before you buy your next new property, speak to your municipality.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Of course, the issues must be fixed before the final occupancy permit is issued, so there is no worry there. However, the reports reveal facts like: it took 3 inspections over the course of 3 months before some of the problems were rectified. Also, the Town inspector mentioned that they "have had problems with this builder in the past."

ChrisDavies

Registered
That's great info! What town were you hunting in where you found all the issues? Edmonton? I'm finding it's taking an awfully long time to get searches and documents here.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
This was in Beaumont. The reports were emailed to me within an hour.

Top Bottom