Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

duplex heating options?

hotbunz4

Registered
So I`m rebuilding a duplex (gutted due to fire) and found out that I can`t have one forced air furnace (air can`t travel between units). A boiler would be fine, but I`m also thinking of possibly doing two forced air furnaces. This way i can install two gas meters and put that in the tenants names.
this seems like a good idea to me, reduces the monthly bills and i won`t have to worry about windows being left open in the winter....but I`ve never seen this in a house like this.
It is two bedrooms on the main, two bedrooms up, and full basement for laundry/storage.
If you have any opinions on the best way to go, I love to hear them.
Thank

jcab256

Registered
QUOTE (hotbunz4 @ Jul 9 2010, 05:38 PM) thinking of possibly doing two forced air furnaces

Another option would be separating the hydro. Then bottom unit could have gas furnace, and pay their own hydro, upstairs unit would have baseboard heat, and pay their own hydro.

Assuming that you will be redoing the electrical anyway due to the fire, this may be a cheaper option...

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (hotbunz4 @ Jul 9 2010, 06:38 PM) So I`m rebuilding a duplex (gutted due to fire) and found out that I can`t have one forced air furnace (air can`t travel between units). A boiler would be fine, but I`m also thinking of possibly doing two forced air furnaces. This way i can install two gas meters and put that in the tenants names.
this seems like a good idea to me, reduces the monthly bills and i won`t have to worry about windows being left open in the winter....but I`ve never seen this in a house like this.
It is two bedrooms on the main, two bedrooms up, and full basement for laundry/storage.
If you have any opinions on the best way to go, I love to hear them.
Thank

All of mine have forced air on the main floor and electric baseboard on the second floor. Cheaper option than two forced air furnaces.

hotbunz4

Registered
Yes I have redone the electrical and installed two, 100 amp panels.
Electric on top, really?
That would be a lot cheaper initially, but isn`t it expensive to operate?
I know I wouldn`t want to rent an apt. with electric heat that I paid for.
...Or maybe I`m wrong and modern day baseboard heater are cheap and efficient.
Most of the heat would travel from the first floor up anyways wouldn`t it?
Would you insulate between the floors to provent this?

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (hotbunz4 @ Jul 12 2010, 08:34 PM) Yes I have redone the electrical and installed two, 100 amp panels.
Electric on top, really?
That would be a lot cheaper initially, but isn`t it expensive to operate?
I know I wouldn`t want to rent an apt. with electric heat that I paid for.
...Or maybe I`m wrong and modern day baseboard heater are cheap and efficient.
Most of the heat would travel from the first floor up anyways wouldn`t it?
Would you insulate between the floors to provent this?

Yes, heat travels up and its one of the points I make when renting the upper unit.  With vacancy rates as low as they are, people are willing to rent with electric particularly if you have taken steps to improve energy efficiency such as new windows.  I have no problems renting those suites

jcab256

Registered
I have a home that is completly heated by baseboard heaters, and have never had issues renting it, or complaints about the electric costs. I don`t think it`s anything you`d have to worry about.

housingrental

Registered
Re Jay above; potential renters do comment on this regularly I`ve found but its not a deal killer

jcab256

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jul 20 2010, 09:00 AM) Re Jay above; potential renters do comment on this regularly I`ve found but its not a deal killer

Hmmm... I`ve only had the mentioned property for a few years, so maybe I`ve just been able to find non whiney tenants!

hotbunz4

Registered
well, due to the current damage it will have all new windows and be insulated throughout.
I do like boiler heat, but would have to include the heat in the rent if I went with this option.
I was expecting to do this though, and do so in my other multi-family.
But I do see the benefits of having them take care of the costs even if I do have to lower
the rent because of it.

...I came here for answers and now I just have more options.
1 one gas forced air for each floor.
2 one gas boiler for both floors.
3 forced air for main and electric up.
4 Electric main and up.

You guys make a good case for number three.
fairly cheap initially and I can pass on the bills.
also the gas heat would be heating the basement, I suppose i`ll have to give all the storage to the main floor tenant (or pay the gas bill and build another suite down there).

Top Bottom